Latest topics
» Impromptu Games
by MRM Yesterday at 4:52 pm

» Ask for help, my KSMOS has encountered a lot of problems.
by Mr. Digby Yesterday at 3:30 pm

» AARs - post here all after battle comments and replay files
by Uncle Billy Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:35 pm

» Whats wrong with the Guards?
by Didz Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:07 pm

» Picket-Pettigrew-Trimble conversion to Portugal
by Mr. Digby Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:54 pm

» Set Up for SOWWL NAPOLEON GAMES For Kriegspiel style
by xiyunhong Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:51 am

» A Courier from China
by Didz Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:45 am

» Unlocking all the scenario's
by Didz Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:05 pm

» Steam Community Guide
by Didz Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:05 am

» Our Chinese Friend
by Didz Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:21 pm

» Future games - where to look?
by Didz Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:05 am

» Looking to play
by Uncle Billy Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:39 am

Statistics
We have 955 registered users
The newest registered user is DasAlte

Our users have posted a total of 23734 messages in 1903 subjects
Keywords

battles  

I forgot my password

What Maréchals de France are you?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What Maréchals de France are you?

Post  Mark87 on Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:01 pm

I think a fun and silly topic is to rate and compare our community with the historic Maréchals who served Napoleon! Hey gents I'm bored at work and this is a way to pass the time. I am going to start with some easy ones..... Don't take offense!!!!!! It's all in fun

Digby

Sorry, Martin, but you are most certainly Maréchal Louis Alexandre Berthier: meticulous, careful, exact, and technical. You are responsible in large part, for this community. Your precision, (some would say anal retentiveness... Very Happy ) is present in the Campaign map orders where you serve most carefully as our umpire and chief storyteller. Your obsession for perfection and order-ness carries over onto the battlefield (most unlike your historical precedent!!!). You are always forming an ordered formation, issuing detailed and clear orders, and carefully finding the correct solution to the military problem in front of you. Well not SLOOOWWW per say, you cannot be described as reckless on the battlefield.

Palmer

Jean-Baptiste Bessieres for Palmer. A man and a soldier for all seasons. Infantry brigade, division, corps. Cavalry brigade and Division. Army commander (chased Sir John Moore). Technical. The professional. Palmer leads any mission solidly and with a comfortable grasp of all things military. Just as Bessieres, you can assign him any task, from a humble brigade of infantry, to a column of 10,000 men of all arms 3 miles from the army acting as a diversion. Can be aggressive. Can be cautious. It depends on the situation. Will never make a great mistake that kills an army.

Mark/Little Mac

Eduoard Mortier. Refuses rank pirat. Solid and dependable, much like Palmer. Does very good when outgunned, or as we GCMers like to call it, put on the "weak flank." Hence why he is Maréchal Mortier. Not only a quality commander, is also a quality organizer and administrator. However, he is a soldier with a mind of his own and is willing and able to share his thoughts with others, but he has the patience to deal with other less talented commanders...... Also independent, like Mortier who would not blow up Moscow.

Uncle Billy

St. Cyr. Good commander and able to win battlers on his own (Polotsk-first battle) and able to accept responsibility when it is also his own (Polotsk-second battle). Uncle Billy is most like St. Cyr in his abilities as an administrator and organizer and teacher. He has a strong ability to "heard cats" as they say, testing and getting fellow commanders ready. He designed superb wargaming to train us on our offweeks between campaign battles..... Again, not overly fast, but not slowww either.

MORE COMING HAHA
Mark87

Back to top Go down

Re: What Maréchals de France are you?

Post  Mr. Digby on Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:55 pm

Haha, nice work. You have me down quite well but I'd add that while I am not reckless I can be bold. I may be slow in co-ordinating an attack but I have an eye to see the weak spot and exploit it. I also am a father to my digital men and refuse to throw my last reserve into an attack if I think it's a fools errand and will not retrieve the situation but only worsen the scale of the defeat. I have Bonaparte blood in me in that I favour the artillery arm and love counting long lines of guns (if they are mine!). I fondly hold onto the record (so far) for a 60-gun battery in an SoW game and my desire to increase than number knows no limits.

I can't place a St Cyr hat on Kevin's head I'm afraid as St Cyr was very much a 'by the book' general and was meticulous and refused to be tempted to personal gain from his campaigns. His 'proper' and even 'righteous' manner when dealing with the spoils of war led him to make enemies as many French generals and marshals saw the loot of war as a rightful bonus in wartime, many senior generals filled their estates with paintings, works of art and other loot. St Cyr refused to do so and given MTGs fondness for wagon convoys full of table silver I think we have to say he's no St Cyr!

"Any hussar who has not got himself killed by the age of 30 is a jackass." - Antoine Charles Louis Lasalle, commander of Napoleon's light cavalry, killed in battle at Wagram 6 July 1809, aged 34.

"I had forgotten there was an objective." - Generallieutenant Mikhail Borozdin I
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark87 on Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:02 pm

A very good point on Kevin Mr. Digby; however, aren't those supply convoys used solely in our "training" games. Maybe he is simply testing us Laughing
Mark87

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark87 on Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:22 pm

MJP

This was a tough one but I've narrowed it to Auguste de Marmont. Very excellent tactical commander, especially with the art of maneuver, MJP and Marmont share several startling similarities. Firstly, they are both able and extraordinarily competent with Independent Command; strategically and tactically skilled. Also, Marmont suffered his worst defeat at the Salamanca, mostly because of... um... overconfidence. MJP can be a little... confident. Additionally, Auguste de Marmont thought he knew what was best for France and ventured into the realm of politics.... MJP generally knows what is best Laughing Lastly, MJP does love his cannon......

Marmont is also tactically aggressive but also a fan over maneuver. That fits MJP to the tee. Where the Maréchal got problems were his entrance into politics and his confidence in himself..... Who knows, personally brave, how would the battle of Salamanca have turned out without this brilliant Maréchals wounding??
Mark87

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy on Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:02 pm

I channel my inner Massena whenever there is silverware to be had.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark87 on Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:10 am

Grog

Francois Lefebvre. Seems like an old soldier. Reliable in every manner. I just always picture him at the head of an infantry division. I'm sure he can and has commanded cavalry.... but it would be odd. Direct and to the point, always solid and dependable. Slightly cautious, and careful but able to plan and execute complex plans. Like most members of this group, will not commit any mistakes that will lose you a battle. Veteran campaigner, seems to understand everything about the game.

Martin

Louis Suchet. Completely comfortable with the organization and administrative duties of running a large body of men. Delegate authority while still maintaining his. Is also, like Palmer, best at commanding large formations or an Army. Like most of the solid players on this list, does not seem to take many aggressive risks but is able to lead his troops to gain advantageous positions. Hits very hard, almost James Longstreet like. Very competent in all areas.

Knight/"The Wolf of Spaine"

Emmanuel Grouchy. Better at cavalry command. Can handle large formations but is apt to follow the script more as a commander of Infantry as opposed to cavalry. An aristocrat with a mercurial temperament..... Knight and Grouchy are best leading divisions of heavy cavalry in battle and shattering formations. Not as good in the detail oriented of scouting and patience necessary as a commander of light horse. Still, an excellent cavalryman and a solid corps commander. What he does on his own initiative and as a C in C we shall see.......

EJ

Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte. Will he come to your aid or will he not? Good question! Apt to get "lost" on the battlefield allowing his "rivals" commands such as MJP to suffer heavily.... Also a very good commander.... when he fights Laughing Very good divisional commander. Can command both cavalry and infantry effectively, which is not a popular position in this forum. Will he ever perform C in C duties or take on a larger role? Time will tell. Absolutely has the aptitude for command.... He might just be king on day....

Robert MaCleod

Jean-Baptiste Jourdan. Able and willing to win battles on his own, especially with flanking marches. Nonetheless is not a "Front and center" Maréchal. Thusly, he is often relegated to commands that are thankless; like commanding a light cavalry brigade or an infantry brigade tasked with holding an importantly but not highly visible position. Most importantly, has the courage to see when a plan is not going to work and is willing to change on the fly to suit the needs of the battlefield. Can take risks, which pay off more than not. Not an extreme gambler but not overly cautious either.

Pepe

Nicolas Soult. A very talented and competent soldier. Pepe, like Soult gets put into impossible situations more often than not. Soult, like Pepe, is actually able to perform well and survive. When faced with lesser or equal odds; he wins. When faced with difficult odds; he doesn't lose the game. When faced with impossible odds; he still somehow survives. Such is Maréchal Soult..... Pepe. Is perfectly able to lead an Army to Victory as C in C. Put him on a flank and your flank will survive... But him in the center against two divisions perched on a mountain..... he will still lead 70% of his division out of danger.
Mark87

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby on Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:11 am

Hehhe, if we were comparing our players to British commanders then Grog would be Slade, if he was commanding cavalry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_John_Slade,_1st_Baronet

"Any hussar who has not got himself killed by the age of 30 is a jackass." - Antoine Charles Louis Lasalle, commander of Napoleon's light cavalry, killed in battle at Wagram 6 July 1809, aged 34.

"I had forgotten there was an objective." - Generallieutenant Mikhail Borozdin I
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin on Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:20 pm

Well I'm just relieved it wasn't worse!  

I've wired you the money, Mark.  But this is the last time ok Evil or Very Mad

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  kg little mac on Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:55 pm

He's only played one battle with you, Martin. Give him a little time and no amount of money will cloud his assessment.
kg little mac

Back to top Go down

Post  MJP on Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:21 pm

Mark's Assessment of MJP with a few minor inserts....

they are both able and extraordinarily competent with Independent Command; strategically and tactically skilled. Also, .... suffered his worst defeat at the Salamanca {insert Waterloo}, mostly because of... um... overconfidence. MJP can be a little... confident. Additionally, ... thought he knew what was best for France and ventured into the realm of politics.... MJP generally knows what is best ...  Lastly, MJP does love his cannon......

....is also tactically aggressive but also a fan over maneuver. That fits MJP to the tee. Where the Maréchal {insert Emperor} got problems were his entrance into politics and his confidence in himself.....

A very fitting assessment, though of course it sounds much more like you are describing....well.....Napoleon.   Laughing
MJP

http://www.firstlegionltd.com

Back to top Go down

Post  WJPalmer on Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:35 pm

I would argue that given Kevin's/MTG's devilish delight in constructing scenarios designed to undermine, torture, befuddle, mislead, and confuse CinC's and players, his true association is not that of a French Maréchal at all. Rather, he tops my list for the Charles Maurice de Talleyrand award. Twisted Evil
WJPalmer

http://rwberg53.wix.com/adventure-images

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby on Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:56 pm

Or the Marquis de Sade. Twisted Evil

Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark87 on Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:05 pm

A couple Maréchals are going to be generals of division soon it seems.......

Mark87

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin on Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:34 pm

kg little mac wrote........

He's only played one battle with you, Martin. Give him a little time and no amount of money will cloud his assessment.

It is a risk.  I'm hoping that after a couple more he'll be too shell-shocked to think straight - particularly if we're on the same side.  As a precaution I'm going to sign all my courier messages from now on as Digby......

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy on Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:37 pm

Or the Marquis de Sade. Twisted Evil
I have not previewed next week's game yet. How did you know? Suspect

Back to top Go down

Post  Baldwin1 on Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:17 pm

Glad I wasn't compared to a frog. tongue
Baldwin1

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby on Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:14 pm

Don't know if anybody rates as this guy but he is my favourite general of any side in this period. What a character! Look at that portrait - its the definition of rich smug arrogance. Love him to bits!

Someone needs to make a biographical film of this dude's life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran%C3%A7ois_Fournier-Sarlov%C3%A8ze

A French Napoleonic version of Flashman.

Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy on Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:55 pm

Someone needs to make a biographical film of this dude's life

They did, sort of. It's called The Duelist. It's actually a pretty good move.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby on Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:40 pm

Yes, I watched The Duellist years ago. I think he only inspired the character though - would like to see a proper biographical dramatisation. The guy even had an argument with Napoleon himself after Leipzig!

Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark87 on Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:29 pm

Mark

Napoleon Bonaparte

Simply the greatest military mind of the age. Charming and sophisticated, master at diplomacy and strategically impeccable.
Mark87

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby on Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:12 pm

"...master at diplomacy..."

LOL, Napoleon was possibly the worst diplomat ever. He had no talent at all for international politics. Very Happy

Now combine his military talents and leadership with Wellington's ability to politically manouver things his way and set enemies off against each other and we could have had world peace by 1807.

Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark87 on Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:04 pm

oh, so I am actually greater than Napoleon. Excellent!
Mark87

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark87 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:44 pm

Roland

Massena
Mark87

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down