» Crop sprites
by Didz Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:17 pm

» AARs - post here all after battle comments and replay files
by Miko77 Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:58 am

» KS Map Modding Project
by rschilla Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:23 am

» Chickamauga conversion to Germany
by Mr. Digby Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:04 am

» How to import scanned maps into the General Staff wargaming system.
by Dr Ezra Sidran Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:43 pm

» Ask for help, my KSMOS has encountered a lot of problems.
by Uncle Billy Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:04 pm

» a little help here...
by Mr. Digby Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:51 am

Statistics
We have 969 registered users
The newest registered user is Mironchik

Our users have posted a total of 23824 messages in 1908 subjects
Keywords

maps  battles  stock  camera  scenario  

I forgot my password

The 200-year-old skeleton of a soldier killed at the battle of Waterloo

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The 200-year-old skeleton of a soldier killed at the battle of Waterloo

Post  Guest on Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:57 pm

Archaeologists identify skeleton of soldier who was killed at the battle of Waterloo after his 200-year-old remains were discovered under a car park - just like Richard III   Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3026442/200-year-old-skeleton-hunchback-soldier-killed-battle-Waterloo-Belgian-car-park-believed-trained-Sussex.html#ixzz3WSzgaPHf  Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Back to top Go down

Re: The 200-year-old skeleton of a soldier killed at the battle of Waterloo

Post  Mr. Digby on Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:39 pm

Very interesting news, the investigative and analytical techniques that archaeologists can employ these days is amazing.

"Any hussar who has not got himself killed by the age of 30 is a jackass." - Antoine Charles Louis Lasalle, commander of Napoleon's light cavalry, killed in battle at Wagram 6 July 1809, aged 34.

"I had forgotten there was an objective." - Generallieutenant Mikhail Borozdin I
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:46 pm

I was watching a story on BBC about a guy that found an old Celtic camp ground or battlefield on someone farmland. The findings were worth 3.5 million Pounds. The excavation of these things is just fascinating not to mention the DNA where they could actually name the Soldier.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby on Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:04 pm

Britain has some amazing history, given that its been invaded so many times and we have so many different cultural groups that have moved across our landscape. Human activity in Britain is now known to go back 900,000 years, and these would not have been Homo Sapiens either.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/10623660/900000-year-old-footprints-of-earliest-northern-Europeans-discovered.html

But some of our archaeology from Roman times (AD50 to AD400) through the Dark Ages (AD500-700) to early Medieval (AD700-1000) is the most fascinating for me because we can trace a clear line of change and meshing of culture after culture in an unbroken flow of gradual progress and see settlements become established, grow, decline, grow again, etc. The impact of the Black Death in the mid 1300s is also easily traceable by land use and occupation levels. Engaging stuff. It is amazing that hoards of coins and jewellery are still being dug up - though of course metal detecting usage is increasing but some of these finds worth millions are just a few inches below the ground of farmers fields that have been continuously ploughed, seeded, harvested and re-ploughed for 100s of years with nothing being noticed.

There's a strong archaeology based on modern times as well such as WWII, including crashed planes from the 1940s to Napoleonic, WWI and WWII defences and infrastructure. You often come across WWII pill boxes and anti-tank defences when driving around the countryside.

"Any hussar who has not got himself killed by the age of 30 is a jackass." - Antoine Charles Louis Lasalle, commander of Napoleon's light cavalry, killed in battle at Wagram 6 July 1809, aged 34.

"I had forgotten there was an objective." - Generallieutenant Mikhail Borozdin I
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top