Latest topics
» SOWWL KS----Scaling Down Waterloo Map by 2/3rds
by Mr. Doran Today at 12:26 am

» Gore or Glory: A brief ACW, AAR, 22/10/17.
by Martin Yesterday at 6:15 pm

» Impromptu Games
by MRM Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:49 pm

» Set Up for SOWWL NAPOLEON GAMES For Kriegspiel style
by risorgimento59 Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:08 pm

» Trying to Make Scaled Down Waterloo Map
by Didz Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:12 pm

» British OOB and troop ratings
by Didz Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:31 pm

» 2017 k/spiel game schedule
by Martin Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:17 pm

» World War One - AAR
by oldfaithful68 Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:20 am

» Just posted part 3 of my DARPA research presentation on tactical AI
by Dr Ezra Sidran Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:52 pm

» Gettysburg map, can be scaled to KS size
by MRM Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:11 pm

» Southern California Kriegsspiel Society
by Father General Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:59 am

» IL-2, Cliffs of Dover
by Grog Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:55 pm

Statistics
We have 993 registered users
The newest registered user is mugendo

Our users have posted a total of 24199 messages in 1931 subjects

I forgot my password

Location of the original 1812 kriegsspiel set

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Location of the original 1812 kriegsspiel set

Post  Martin on Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:31 pm

New member Martin Tomczak writes as follows:

I thought you might be interested in the following:

The original Kriegsspiel equipment presented to King Frederick William III in 1812 can be seen on the ground floor of the "Neuer Fluegel" at Scloss Charlottenburg in Berlin. I came across this in a 2009 article on the website of the magazine "Der Spiegel" - you can find it on Google with "Der Spiegel kriegsspiel"

The article describes how the Reisswitz game started the process that has led to role-playing games like "World of Warcraft" today. There are nine photographs with the article, four of the Reisswitz equipment including some of the playing pieces, five of present-day role-playing games.

The historian Philipp von Hilgers who is referred to in the article, has written a book about the 1,000 year-long effort by military men and mathematicians to simulate war - "Kriegsspiele" ISBN 978-3-506-76553-6, published by Ferdinand Schoeningh. He was able to examine the 1812 equipment in detail.

I hope this is of interest to you,

Martin later wrote......

I saw a reference to an English-language version, and find that an English edition was published in 2012 by MIT Press- "War Games. A History of War on Paper" 240pp ISBN 9780262016971 Hardback $30.00/£20.95 Publishers page at https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/war-games

Martin

Back to top Go down

Re: Location of the original 1812 kriegsspiel set

Post  Leffe7 on Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:13 pm

thanks for pointing to that article.
The Spiegel article is fun and easy stuff. Some links to todays games are a bit stretched off course. But I like the idea that Reisswitz kriegsspiel was also an RPG.
I always like it when in our SOWGB games the players are "in-character". And not only maximizing their score or attacking blindly.
Leffe7

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby on Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:09 pm

I am a little skeptical of Herr Reisswitz intending his games to include role-playing as we know it today. Of course his student officers were given the roles of company or battalion commanders, etc so in that respect they were playing a role different to their real military rank but this is not role-playing as the modern world understands the term. The officers still responded "as themselves" and did not assume a different persona which is the modern understanding. Someone who dared role-play a stubborn officer who hated officer x because said officer had married the woman he loved and therefore refused to obey orders from him would have not lasted 10 minutes in a military training exercise!

I would say that the Reisswitz game is the grand-father of all modern wargames (board, miniature figures and digital) but that today's RPGs (including WoW) stem from far more modern roots - namely the fertile mind of Gary Gygax and the D&D explosion of the 1970s.

"Any hussar who has not got himself killed by the age of 30 is a jackass." - Antoine Charles Louis Lasalle, commander of Napoleon's light cavalry, killed in battle at Wagram 6 July 1809, aged 34.

"I had forgotten there was an objective." - Generallieutenant Mikhail Borozdin I
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum