» 2017 k/spiel game schedule
by Martin Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:38 pm

» New Gettysburg Map - Shiloh
by Uncle Billy Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:22 am

» Infantry Wheeling
by Uncle Billy Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:38 pm

» Unit Stats
by Uncle Billy Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:14 pm

» Waterloo issues. Does anyone else experience these?
by Martin Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:27 pm

» Another mini-campaign idea
by Mr. Digby Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:21 pm

» KS Napoleon Mod II 1.24 & KS Supplemental Maps 1.16
by Uncle Billy Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:33 pm

» Set Up for SOWWL NAPOLEON GAMES For Kriegspiel style
by Mr. Digby Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:49 pm

» Kriegsspiel revised rules 1828
by PeterPerla Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:39 pm

Statistics
We have 937 registered users
The newest registered user is Merican

Our users have posted a total of 23385 messages in 1883 subjects

I forgot my password

Today's Game July 19th

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Today's Game July 19th

Post  Martin on Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:49 pm

I don’t think the VP issue is straightforward.  

* In our face-to-face kriegsspiels, we normally have specific victory conditions for both sides, although they may be asymmetric.  So, at least in theory, both sides could achieve them.

* They always have importance, but are not always *critically* important.  But the players don’t always know that for situational reasons.

* And in any case it’s no good achieving your objective if you no longer have a viable force.  If that’s the case the objective is likely to have little value.

* Of course, the situation may mean you can recover stragglers, and reorganize into a viable force overnight.  In which case the statement above is not true.

* OTOH you may fail to achieve an geographic objective, but if you’ve decisively defeated the enemy, there will be nothing to stop you securing it the next day.

* Always assuming that securing it was not time-critical.  For example marching to the relief of a fortress which was about to fall.  In which case the next day is too late.

It’s very difficult to come-up with a rule that covers all situations.  All I can suggest is the approach we use in our kriegsspiels.  There, the final decision on victory/defeat always rests with the person who organised the game.  Only they are aware of the whole picture, know what’s in everyone’s briefings, and hopefully have the objectivity to come to an informed and unbiased view.

That may not be a perfect approach, but it does seem to work.  It does require that all players accept the decision, but over many years we have not found that to be a problem.  One difference in our MP games is that the organiser plays, rather than umpires.  But they typically take a minor command, and so are probably less invested in the result.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  WJPalmer on Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:52 pm

Martin, I see lawyer-potential in you. All you lack is a few more "to the contrary notwithstandings..." ;-)
WJPalmer

http://rwberg53.wix.com/adventure-images

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin on Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:09 pm

That will be five thousand dollars please, Ron Cool

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Iberalc on Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:14 am

Accepting we didn't take the objective and NSD's victory.

I am curious about how my commanders felt at the battle end? Just taking into account the actual fighting.

Did you feel we were getting the upperhand in the battle or we're getting our asses kicked? Question

I couldn't see beyond the ridge of Martin's position (Roland's division) but all the fighting around Goumont was reduced to mopping up some French battalions.
Iberalc

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby on Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:53 am

I only ever felt dubious about our position early on when I took the second ridge and began to get pounded by French guns. One of my batteries had a cannon rout before it had opened fire. Then with my guns pulled back (er... forced back) off that ridge I saw masses of French infantry attacking I wondered if we would be able to stop them.

The second worrying moment was when I had to pull back to keep connected with our left and saw Goumont woods full of cheering garlic eaters who then pushed Mike's brigade back and swarmed around the chateau.

After that though I found out my reserve brigade had brought powder and bullets with them and these, with help from Mark's brigade to my left and mine and Roland's 40+ guns managed to stop the enemy on this flank.

"Any hussar who has not got himself killed by the age of 30 is a jackass." - Antoine Charles Louis Lasalle, commander of Napoleon's light cavalry, killed in battle at Wagram 6 July 1809, aged 34.

"I had forgotten there was an objective." - Generallieutenant Mikhail Borozdin I
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  WJPalmer on Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:27 pm

Iberalc wrote:Did you feel we were getting the upperhand in the battle or we're getting our asses kicked?

One vote for "asses kicked."
WJPalmer

http://rwberg53.wix.com/adventure-images

Back to top Go down

Post  kg little mac on Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:54 pm

My brigade was in good shape and the French had relented. I was once very worried, but when I saw a brigade led by Pepe of Villaflor come up beside me, I knew the day was ours.
kg little mac

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy on Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:45 pm

We are Russians, of course we won. cheers

Actually, the idea was for us to attack and drive away the snail eaters. Instead, they counterattacked and drove us back. I really don't understand what happened. We had a colored battle plan and everything. What more did we need?

Back to top Go down

Post  kg little mac on Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:19 pm

"What more did we need?"

An Austrian with a firmer Rückgrat?  Evil or Very Mad
kg little mac

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby on Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:39 pm

I don’t think the VP issue is straightforward.
Thank you, Martin. Very helpful. Suspect

"Any hussar who has not got himself killed by the age of 30 is a jackass." - Antoine Charles Louis Lasalle, commander of Napoleon's light cavalry, killed in battle at Wagram 6 July 1809, aged 34.

"I had forgotten there was an objective." - Generallieutenant Mikhail Borozdin I
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin on Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:45 pm

And don't get me started on the implications of losing your baggage train Rolling Eyes

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top