Latest topics
» 2018 k/spiel game schedule
by Martin Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:29 pm

» My General Staff launches today on Kickstarter!
by Dr Ezra Sidran Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:57 pm

» Quantifying the effect of the ground
by spock Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:01 pm

» Half battallion consistency
by spock Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:17 pm

» German Fotothek
by Martin Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:20 pm

» Losses table
by spock Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:34 pm

» SOWWL KS----Waterloo Historical Battle---Half Scale---- 1:7 Sprite Ratio
by Didz Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:28 pm

» Game Crashes when troops ordered into column
by mikea030 Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:47 pm

» Army level rules?
by Martin Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:13 pm

» SOWWL KS----Scaling Down Waterloo Map by 2/3rds
by Mr. Doran Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:07 am

» KS mods for SOWW?
by Uncle Billy Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:36 pm

Statistics
We have 996 registered users
The newest registered user is Maiorianus

Our users have posted a total of 24271 messages in 1940 subjects

I forgot my password

Waterloo: The Beer of Victory!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Waterloo: The Beer of Victory!

Post  WJPalmer on Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:04 pm

Few would dispute the symbiotic relationship between beer and wargaming. However, while attending the 200th commemoration last June I stumbled upon a strong historical connection between brewskis and the 1815 conflict. During the Battle a local brewery just happened to be in full operation at Braine l’Alleud, only a couple of kilometers from the battlefield. This business, then known as "Market Brewery", dated from 1456 but enjoyed a major expansion coincidentally in the year 1815. Not so coincidentally, it also kept Wellington's army well-supplied (Could this have been the REAL reason behind the Duke's choice of this battlefield?). Shocked
History of Waterloo Beer

This establishment today is the Waterloo Brewery, which creates a micro-brew from the same recipe served to the Anglo-Allies. My wife and I were able to sample it on a couple of occasions and (I especially) thought it quite good. Below are a few shots from our first encounter with Waterloo Beer, fittingly at a pub/restaurant on the Mont St. Jean ridge at the intersection of Route du Lion and Chaussée de Charleroi.

While enjoying the brew this strange fellow in a tall, hairy hat strolled into Josephine's looking for directions to the battlefield and was instantly mugged by admiring tourists, most of whom appeared to be English sympathizers, such as this one (let's call him "Martin"). Only after 20 minutes did "Martin" and his ilk allow the instant celebrity to go on his way.

BTW, the avatar I'm now sporting is a photo of the Waterloo: Beer of Victory coaster. And, yes, I confess to absconding with a few... pirat
WJPalmer

http://rwberg53.wix.com/adventure-images

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top