» 2017 k/spiel game schedule
by Martin Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:38 pm

» New Gettysburg Map - Shiloh
by Uncle Billy Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:22 am

» Infantry Wheeling
by Uncle Billy Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:38 pm

» Unit Stats
by Uncle Billy Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:14 pm

» Waterloo issues. Does anyone else experience these?
by Martin Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:27 pm

» Another mini-campaign idea
by Mr. Digby Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:21 pm

» KS Napoleon Mod II 1.24 & KS Supplemental Maps 1.16
by Uncle Billy Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:33 pm

» Set Up for SOWWL NAPOLEON GAMES For Kriegspiel style
by Mr. Digby Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:49 pm

» Kriegsspiel revised rules 1828
by PeterPerla Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:39 pm

Statistics
We have 937 registered users
The newest registered user is Merican

Our users have posted a total of 23385 messages in 1883 subjects

I forgot my password

Napoleonic Prussian,Austrian,French

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Napoleonic Prussian,Austrian,French

Post  Master of Europe on Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:45 pm

So I had an idea about a campaign in Eastern Europe in the Napoleonic era.This might be a stretch,but maybe it could be linked to Digbys Peninsular Campaign, with movements of troops to each theater of war. I'm thinking the rules would be the same as Digbys Campaign. Want to see how much interest this generates the proceed. Hope I'm not stretching any boundary as a new player. Thanks, Bob
Master of Europe

Back to top Go down

Re: Napoleonic Prussian,Austrian,French

Post  Mr. Digby on Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:32 pm

That's an interesting idea. If it's linked to my campaign in some way then you'd need to cover Napoleon's 1809 campaign against the Austrians. I think it would have to be pretty much that... no Prussians or Russians involved. However the French 1809 Rhine army was a very interesting formation with a lot of foreign troops - the Bavarians, Saxons, all the Confederation states. Other than 1812 its probably the most varied and "interesting" French Napoleonic army for wargamers.

Its also got the cream of the veteran French regiments at that time.

Unfortunately if I recall (not read my books for some time) the Austrian army opposing them is rather vanilla and dull (vanilla as in plain, not as in a flavour of ice cream... Wink ).

There's very little cross-fertilization between Spain and the Danube in 1809. The Spanish army basically stayed unchanged from now on except it just got bigger and bigger, becoming the huge manpower drain it did until by 1811 there were over 350,000 French troops in Spain. Marshals and other generals came and went, most of them coming in ignorance and leaving with their careers ruined but not so much the troops.

You might need to make some adjustments to the map rules, they were written with Spain and Portugal in mind. If I were to write a set for Austria 1809 I would probably change a few things.

To be honest I think an 1813 campaign is better for a Napoleonic game. This gives us all the European nations you can possibly think of plus the armies are more equal in capability by then. Of course its a vast campaign but you could scale it back in some way, maybe 'bathtubbing' it a level down so that corps become divisions and divisions brigades. That way you can retain the basic structures but keep the nice variance of armies and troops. I had a similar idea a few years back for an ACW campaign; its a way to make vast armies manageable.

"Any hussar who has not got himself killed by the age of 30 is a jackass." - Antoine Charles Louis Lasalle, commander of Napoleon's light cavalry, killed in battle at Wagram 6 July 1809, aged 34.

"I had forgotten there was an objective." - Generallieutenant Mikhail Borozdin I
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Master of Europe on Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:43 pm

I do think that Napoleons Campaign against the Austrians would be an interesting idea. What would work for carrying over casualties vs me filling them in manually? Going to tinker with this a bit more.
Master of Europe

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby on Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:15 pm

I use Niall's campaign carryover tool written especially for these PBEM/SoW MP type campaigns. I can send it to you. It requires Excel however.

"Any hussar who has not got himself killed by the age of 30 is a jackass." - Antoine Charles Louis Lasalle, commander of Napoleon's light cavalry, killed in battle at Wagram 6 July 1809, aged 34.

"I had forgotten there was an objective." - Generallieutenant Mikhail Borozdin I
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Master of Europe on Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:11 am

Great, I have Excel.Anybody have a place where I can find OOB's? Also any map suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Master of Europe

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby on Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:24 am

Nafziger is pretty good for OOBs.

http://cdm16040.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p4013coll11/id/1277

Before you commit to a lot of work, best to wait a few days and see how much interest this gets. Also try promoting it on the PBEM side of the KS forums as you will probably have interest from Kreigspielers who do not own or play SoW.

Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top