» Crop sprites
by Didz Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:17 pm

» AARs - post here all after battle comments and replay files
by Miko77 Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:58 am

» KS Map Modding Project
by rschilla Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:23 am

» Chickamauga conversion to Germany
by Mr. Digby Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:04 am

» How to import scanned maps into the General Staff wargaming system.
by Dr Ezra Sidran Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:43 pm

Statistics
We have 970 registered users
The newest registered user is Eagle Tsui

Our users have posted a total of 23832 messages in 1909 subjects
Keywords

scenario  maps  camera  battles  stock  

I forgot my password

04. Battle of Weimar - 5th May 1813

View previous topic View next topic Go down

04. Battle of Weimar - 5th May 1813

Post  Mr. Digby on Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:10 pm

Weimar is a typical quiet small town on the main road between Erfurt and Leipzig. Of no especial importance in the wider scheme of things, in recent days it has become a place of critical value to both the French and Coalition armies. The road the town sits astride is the main supply and line of communications route for Napoleon's Armee du Main and therefore keeping traffic flowing along this road is vital to French interests.

36th division of the French army is the garrison, a small formation of about 2,000 men made up of average troops.

The Coalition has moved upon the town with uncharacteristic swiftness and early in the morning of 5th May a strong corps of Prussians appears before the town arrayed in battle formation and begins a determined attack. The commander of French 36th division can also see dust clouds to the south-east, suggesting a further approaching force.

For their part the Prussians become quickly aware of dust clouds to the south-west indicating a force moving up the road from Erfurt.

This will be a 2 and a half hour scenario (150 minutes) commencing at 9:30 in the morning.

The Coalition must have an uncontested hold on the town of Weimar to win. The French must hold or contest Weimar to win.

The French garrison of the town has safe/escape zones where the roads to Buttlestedt and Erfurt exit the map. Our usual "exiting the field of battle" rules apply here.

Any French forces advancing from Buttlestedt have a safe/escape zone where the road to Buttlestedt exits the map.

Any French forces advancing from Erfurt have a safe/escape zone where the road to Erfurt exits the map.

Coalition forces advancing from Jena have a safe/escape zone where the road to Jena exits the map.

Coalition forces advancing from Saalfeld have a safe/escape zone where the road to Saalfeld exits the map.

This is quite a large battle with numerous roles per side. Although it will be playable with only 3 players per side, more are welcome.

I have set up a Doodle Poll for the game - please sign up.

"Any hussar who has not got himself killed by the age of 30 is a jackass." - Antoine Charles Louis Lasalle, commander of Napoleon's light cavalry, killed in battle at Wagram 6 July 1809, aged 34.

"I had forgotten there was an objective." - Generallieutenant Mikhail Borozdin I
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Re: 04. Battle of Weimar - 5th May 1813

Post  Mr. Digby on Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:31 pm

By popular demand the battle will be played on Sunday at 20:00 British Summer Time (GMT +1). UK clocks went forward last weekend so this is 6 hours ahead of USA East Coast.

We have an excellent turnout of Allied players but only 1 Frenchman so far. More Frenchies needed please!

"Any hussar who has not got himself killed by the age of 30 is a jackass." - Antoine Charles Louis Lasalle, commander of Napoleon's light cavalry, killed in battle at Wagram 6 July 1809, aged 34.

"I had forgotten there was an objective." - Generallieutenant Mikhail Borozdin I
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy on Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:28 am

The times are back to BST = EST + 5 hr.  So 20:00 BST = 15:00 EST.

Are the two major rivers crossable anywhere or only via the roads?

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby on Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:01 am

Crossable anywhere; they are merely streams.

Thanks for the note about times.

Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Captal on Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:57 pm

Screenshots mostly look WSW from Weimar.  Some looking N towards the hill where the 36th fought.  And the last one looking S at the end. 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/05vos4h66sezxz8/AAAWDrKAG3N3zKSVKhLxql2ca?dl=0
Captal

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby on Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:02 am

The 36th Division was attacked with vigour at about 9:30 in the morning of the 5th May by the Prussian corps of Generalleutnant von Blucher. General de Division Charpentier pulled out of the town in a hurry, abandoning it without a fight. He fell back to the WNW into the woods around Yukhnov where he made a determined stand, occupying the attentions of Genralleutnant Losthin's 1. Brigade supported by several batteries and the Prussian Garde Brigade commanded by von Tippleskirch.

Marechal Ney and III Corps marched towards the sound of the fighting from the south-west, as did Generalleutnant St. Priest from the south-east. Ney's troops encountered Zeithen's 2. Brigade and von Roder's Garde cavalry brigade along the Ogra Stream west of Weimar and a general battle developed with the French attempting to punch across the stream to retake the town.

For an hour or so the fight slowly began to shift in the French favour with slow but bloody progress up the gentle slope out of the valley of the Ogra. Eventually however Charpentier's men began to run low on ammunition and to crumble which allowed Losthin and Tippleskirch to put pressure against Souham's 8th Division on Ney's left. On the French right St. Priest then arrived with his light or Avantgard Corps of dragoons, cossacks and jagers.

The combined threats to both flanks forced Ney to abandon his attack in the centre and by evening III Corps with the remnants of 36th Division was in retreat back down the road to Erfurt.

Blucher's Prussians had borne the brunt of the fighting and had heavy losses. St. Priests casualties were relatively light.

Catastrophically all supplies to Napoleon's main column at Leutzen have been cut.

French losses, about 540 killed, 4,000 wounded and 100 missing.

Russo-Prussian losses about 400 killed, 3,000 wounded and 80 missing.

Replay:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n9pvo76bf33em04/Weimar.rar?dl=0

Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top