Latest topics
» 2018 k/spiel game schedule
by Martin Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:29 pm

» My General Staff launches today on Kickstarter!
by Dr Ezra Sidran Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:57 pm

» Quantifying the effect of the ground
by spock Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:01 pm

» Half battallion consistency
by spock Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:17 pm

» German Fotothek
by Martin Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:20 pm

» Losses table
by spock Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:34 pm

» SOWWL KS----Waterloo Historical Battle---Half Scale---- 1:7 Sprite Ratio
by Didz Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:28 pm

» Game Crashes when troops ordered into column
by mikea030 Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:47 pm

» Army level rules?
by Martin Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:13 pm

» SOWWL KS----Scaling Down Waterloo Map by 2/3rds
by Mr. Doran Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:07 am

» KS mods for SOWW?
by Uncle Billy Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:36 pm

Statistics
We have 996 registered users
The newest registered user is Maiorianus

Our users have posted a total of 24271 messages in 1940 subjects

I forgot my password

Event-driven game management

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Event-driven game management

Post  Richard on Thu May 19, 2011 3:21 pm

As you may know, I have been thinking about building a web site to permit games to be played online in real time. This is one idea that I had recently to facilitate the process. I believe that the army use a similar technique in their tactical exercises, so it has a good pedigree.

Typcially the umpires in a conventional game will organise orders/reports in slots of 15-minute intervals or thereabouts. Whilst that does work it is rather artificial and there may be many occasions when little of interest is happening in the game but the umpires still have visit the players on a regular basis. All of which requires considerable management effort.

An alternative is to create a diary, with blank entries at intervals; these may be 15 minutes as before but could be 10 or even as low as 5. When an order/report event occurs - i.e. a message is sent between a commanders - then the umpire estimates how long it would take for the message to reach the intended recipient and notes that time in the diary. The same goes for units arriving at their specified destinations, after an order is issued and received.

All the umpires then have to do is wait near the players to get their orders and pass them on to Umpire HQ, or check the Event List to announce the arrival of a courier or whatever. Any clash of units on the field would also constitute an event of course (the report of which should be added to the list), so the umpires would need to be aware of such possibilities. They must also know the current game time of day of course.

Note also that the system can be applied to any timescale - e.g. days or even weeks. It is both efficient and scaleable.

That may all sound rather complex but it works well in my experience as a player (as I remember - a long time ago), though I must confess that I haven't tried it as an umpire. It would be nice if we could try it out some day.

Richard

Richard

Back to top Go down

Re: Event-driven game management

Post  MJ1 on Thu May 19, 2011 8:31 pm

Perhaps you can give it a go when you run your Waterloo game?

Give it a try down the Warwick club with a small game / scenario and then see how it goes.

The guys at Warwick are usually keen for multi player sessions and I am sure you could get at least a couple of players to try it out?

MJ1

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top