» 2017 k/spiel game schedule
by Martin Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:38 pm

» New Gettysburg Map - Shiloh
by Uncle Billy Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:22 am

» Infantry Wheeling
by Uncle Billy Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:38 pm

» Unit Stats
by Uncle Billy Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:14 pm

» Waterloo issues. Does anyone else experience these?
by Martin Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:27 pm

» Another mini-campaign idea
by Mr. Digby Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:21 pm

» KS Napoleon Mod II 1.24 & KS Supplemental Maps 1.16
by Uncle Billy Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:33 pm

» Set Up for SOWWL NAPOLEON GAMES For Kriegspiel style
by Mr. Digby Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:49 pm

» Kriegsspiel revised rules 1828
by PeterPerla Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:39 pm

Statistics
We have 939 registered users
The newest registered user is KhandE

Our users have posted a total of 23394 messages in 1883 subjects

I forgot my password

AARs - post here all after battle comments and replay files

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: AARs - post here all after battle comments and replay files

Post  Guest on Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:40 pm

That is why I like your scenario generator you can adjust it to get as close to even or manipulate the other way if need be.

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:50 pm

I ran the scenario this morning with the French just moving down the road and the Allies marching along the route they actually took. Both allied forces intercepted the French column west of Urquiza.

as the French I would probably attack the southern flank at this point as terrain was better and Spanish division presumably weaker... not sure why would this have to be fatal...

Adjustment in scenario allowing exit roads from south of Calzada to very south-east corner of the map would make a lot of difference... and would force Martin to be either more aggressive or cover much wider front - which could be fatal Smile

Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby on Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:29 pm

I just need to clarify that we did not sit on the objective and wait, we formed up in the middle of the map on the best ground I knew of and blocked the main road, which was the route I assumed the French would use, and was the most militarily appropriate response to the scenario I could think of. When they didn't show up for a long time I sent Morsey W and NW, Miko NE and I went N to scout for our enemy. Miko spotted some guns moving through Burgos but for the longest time I had no idea how big a force this was and did not want to reposition my corps until I had better information. Eventually with no other sightings of enemy elsewhere and Miko finally seeing some infantry moving on Burgos from the N behind the guns I knew at least 2 French divisions were passing through Burgos and ordered our relocation march then.

Initially I wanted Miko to form his division on the "Estrada" word N of Bertosa facing N and Morsey to form at Bertosa itself facing up the main road (about which I was still nervous). My division was to be in reserve behind the centre.

It wasn't until enemy were seen by me at Caltrava that I realised an attack was coming from the N and our corps deployed to defend that direction very late, the final orders to Morsey and Miko being issued just before my Cacadore scout battalion I had with me went into action against Kevin's forces.

Yes, I suppose a response by the Allied team could have been to just go and camp on the objective but that never occurred to me since it seemed to be a very gamey move and would clearly make the game very dull. Obviously the Allies had to defend the objective eventually and its possible to say the battle was going to be fought around Osma one way or another in the end, but the French only met us there in force due to good scouting work done by Miko (which cost us because it wore out our heavy cavalry brigade).

The fight NE of Bertosa against Phil was touch and go for a long time as it took ages for Miko to reposition from his initial location behind where my Cacadores found the enemy to where I really needed him to be which was holding the wooded ridge NE of Bertosa. I think the French lost because while Miko and I were defeating Phil, Morsey was not attacked. Then just as Phil was finally stopped, Kevin attacked Morsey and I was able to swing our centre division around and help defend against that attack just in time. Phil also left a complete brigade behind so I think French staffwork was partly to blame for their defeat.

Morsey had one brigade of 4 battalions that were all 2s and I warned him in the planning session not to use them at all except to keep them in reserve to look threatening. Apart from his KGL brigade and KGL light dragoons his division was a paper tiger.

Nevertheless I think this scenario needs a stronger French force. Just making all their 3 rated battalions 4s might be enough, and bumping up their artillery one exp level.

I do like fighting on that map, its steep rugged hills suit the Peninsular OOBs very well, the whole map has quite a Spanish/Portuguese feel to it.

"Any hussar who has not got himself killed by the age of 30 is a jackass." - Antoine Charles Louis Lasalle, commander of Napoleon's light cavalry, killed in battle at Wagram 6 July 1809, aged 34.

"I had forgotten there was an objective." - Generallieutenant Mikhail Borozdin I
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:27 pm

Nevertheless I think this scenario needs a stronger French force. Just making all their 3 rated battalions 4s might be enough, and bumping up their artillery one exp level.

well... this version is spoiled now, so I need to change the initial deployment... however one idea popped out which I think will be a lot of fun...
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby on Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:19 pm

You can almost never re-use a scenario like this that relies on surprise, we have to consign them to experience and work on a similar concept for another day. This one would work again even if it was merely transferred to another map and minor tweaks were made to the OOB and the nature of the victory conditions.

"Any hussar who has not got himself killed by the age of 30 is a jackass." - Antoine Charles Louis Lasalle, commander of Napoleon's light cavalry, killed in battle at Wagram 6 July 1809, aged 34.

"I had forgotten there was an objective." - Generallieutenant Mikhail Borozdin I
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 on Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:28 pm

How was the Friday battle? Phil told me it was too laggy but scenario was good - are we going to play it on Sunday?
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby on Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:01 pm

It played well for a couple of hours but then suddenly slowed right down. It seems something with Kevins connection caused lag, maybe a major node his traffic goes via went offline or something.

I was pleased with the scenario and the others suggested we play it again in a couple of months when its details are no longer fresh in our minds.

We then talked about the sprite jumping/burying problem for a while. I have some irons in the fire over that.

Kevin has a PvP scenario set up for Sunday.

Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 on Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:42 am

Thanks Kevin for a nice relaxing scenario for Sunday evening cheers

btw. there is Sale on Matrix games - I've just bought Chancellorsville as it was half price.
SoW:WL , Ligny and QB are also on sale (not half price, though)
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy on Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:49 am

Great.  I won't have to put Wednesday's scenario on a different map. cheers Although now I might feel a little guilty about springing this battle on you. Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby on Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:29 am

Are you okay Kevin? Feeling guilt? You are getting soft in your old age. Razz

Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy on Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:11 pm

You're right, guilt is for the weak. I apologize.

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 on Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:38 pm

You're right, guilt is for the weak. I apologize.

Yeah, hence yesterday's scenario specially designed to kick my butt - thanks Kevin Smile

Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy on Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:49 pm

This was a PvAI battle that was staged to test the new linear behavior of the early Prussian and Russian armies.  Those countries along with the Austrians still fought very much in the 18th century tradition, using almost exclusively the line formation in attack, movement and defense.  The ACW was fought in this manner too.

The objective of the battle was to secure the crossroads at Walkenberg.  It was held in force by two French divisions.  Unknown to the players, Maréchal Davout was also moving to Walkenberg to supplement the defenses.  The Prussian plan was to attack simultaneously from three directions and squeeze the French like a very overripe grape.  How could this possibly fail?  As will be seen, this was the high point of the Prussian campaign.

Spies!  Rumours had been circulating for weeks that the Prussian high command had been penetrated by French agents.  Here was proof.  The French arranged their forces perfectly to thwart our plans.  They would meet Martin's division with a weak brigade, supplemented by nearly all their cavalry and two very well placed batteries.  Phil and Miko would confront two brigades and batteries, while my brigade's foray to the extreme French right would face a very large brigade, supported by a regiment of dragons.  Already our plans were in tatters.

But that was not the worst of it.  Davout was finally detected approaching the rear of our army.  Miko sensibly deployed a brigade to slow their advance while we destroyed the enemy in front of us.  Once the French were halted, Miko recalled the brigade.  It was reported, that just before they left, they turned their backs to the French, dropped their trousers and showed the French their opinion of them.  The French troops were amused and laughed, but Maréchal Davout happened to be present for the cheeky display.  The Iron Maréchal is not known to possess a sense of humor and he immediately ordered a full assault with no mercy to be shown.

The battle was finally joined.  Here it was apparent that little progress would be made on the Prussian right.  There were just too many Frenchmen.  If the battle was to be won, it would have to be on the right where the enemy was substantially outnumbered.  Unfortunately Davout was advancing.

Napoleon once said he lost and then won a battle within an hour.  Here, the French won it inside 10 minutes.  Once Davout made contact, Miko's division was parted almost without effort.  Even worse, Miko found himself on the wrong side of the rupture.  With the Prussian line split in two, the fat lady was in full throat.

Twenty minutes later, all Prussia wept.  There were now effectively two separate battles taking place.  Neither could be won.

As darkness fell, the only question would be whether the Prussian army would completely dissolve.  A board of inquiry has been established by King Friedrich Wilhelm to find the cause of this disaster.  Although this writer is a mere brigadier, one does not need to look any farther than the poorly disciplined troops under Miko.  Had his brigade not dropped their trousers, the Iron Maréchal's fury would not have been stoked to such a high temperature.  Therefore, only one man is to blame for this calamity.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby on Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:51 pm

Our men did their utmost, they fought like lions. Treacherously the inn in the village behind my division served the most atrocious Sauerkraut and I had to recall my personal chef from corps HQ to prepare me an edible portion. This disaster distracted me from leading the division for a critical hour. On my return to the lines I learned that during the absence of my wise counsel and skilled command General Miko had led us to defeat.

It is indeed a personal tragedy for him that his career is over, but possibly the silver lining to the dark stormy cloud of Prussia's future.

I offer my reasonably priced services at his court-martial.

Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 on Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:00 pm

Come on - I still did better than "the unfortunate General Mack" who got 2 years imprisonment for his disastrous surrender... so I should get away with some financial fine at most - as we killed more French than the number of fallen brave Prussian soldiers...
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 on Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:58 pm

After defecting to French I enjoy much more respect from Prussians as they keeps safe distance away from my lines...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8rah7y2amcc9g01/cowardly%20Prussians.zip?dl=0
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby on Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:37 pm

It was curious to see the AI send its infantry to the rear and try to advance with just its artillery. Kevin, any thoughts on this?

Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy on Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:25 pm

It does happen from time to time and seems to be random. I don't know what causes it though. The part of the code that decides what sort of attack or defense that the AI uses is not available to us.

If you'll remember, Davout's corps behaved the same when it first encountered Miko's rear guard. However, after they infuriated the the Iron Maréchal, he changed his tactics and launched an all out assault. The breaking and re-establishing contact reset the battle plan apparently.

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 on Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:48 am

The breaking and re-establishing contact reset the battle plan apparently.

So if we fell back out of sight after the first contact had been made then AI might have attacked?

If you'll remember, Davout's corps behaved the same when it first encountered Miko's rear guard. However, after they infuriated the the Iron Maréchal, he changed his tactics and launched an all out assault.

Interestingly, he actually attacked me and pursued, rather than going for the objective...

question - was the sandbox set to 2?... We had it set to 2...

Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy on Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:23 pm

That battle had sandbox=2, but there was no army commander, just two corps commanders. I don't know how the sandbox= variable affects corps commanders. In the dll, the only code that uses it is for army commanders. There may be code for the battle plan selection that uses the variable, but I don't have access to that.

So if we fell back out of sight after the first contact had been made then AI might have attacked?
Maybe. scratch

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy on Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:47 pm

A battle against the Russian AI is always a bloody affair.

This battle takes place a day after the bloodletting at Malo-Yaroslavets.  Napoleon has decided to turn back north and take the same road out of Russia that he took in.  Kutusov, uncharacteristically, decides to aggressively pursue his enemy.

Kutusov's battle plan is to have Baggavout's corps attack the head of the French column, Junot's VIII corps, while a division from Tuchkov's corps and elements of Platov's cavalry move north to block the road farther to the west.  Junot's task is to clear the Novaya Moskva Doroga, (New Moscow road), for the rest of the French army.

Contact between the two corps is made east of Medyne.  The French are caught on the march and their lines become very congested.  The Russians see this and spread their forces to maximize their firepower.

By this time, the blocking force is nearly in place, Baggavout's attack has commenced and the French are stilled clustered like sheep.

During this bloody fight where it becomes evident that the Russians will fight to the last man as usual, the French decide to break contact and continue east.  The next corps in the column will have to finish the job.  By now however, Tuchkov and Platov are deployed and waiting.

Baggavout is apparently too damaged or exhausted to pursue and allows the French to proceed unhindered.  Only his Cossacks made a feeble attempt to follow, but they were strongly discouraged by the artillery batteries of the rear guard.  Mike decides to leave the Polish uhlans behind to slow any renewed attempt by Baggavout to follow.

As night falls, The French launch an all out assault against the Russian blocking force composed of 24 guns, light and heavy cavalry and a brigade of grenadiers.  Although close to victory, the human players again fall victim to a small wafer of silicon.  How humiliating.  Embarassed

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 on Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:14 pm

WOW!
The AI played this out superbly Shocked
And lordjoe is back cheers
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby on Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:53 pm

Yes, Kevin did some great design work in this scenario. It really didn't feel like we were playing the AI. It was also a quite a tense battle and quite fluid with 3 distinct phases (at least for my division).

Joe, you did very well, you make a great subordinate. I like it when a subordinate answers my messages!

Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 on Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:35 am

Nice scenario Kevin, but a bit short... maybe give it 15 minutes more? - whatever involves long flanking march on standard 5 mile map needs closer to 3h IMO...

Digby wrote:Can't make it today, dinner and a movie with my daughter.

I blame Martin's absence for our failure in obtaining the shoe collection.

Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:57 pm

I blame the Formula 1 Austrian wagons. We were not outwitted by their military just their super advanced tech on high speed low drag wagon operations.

The god of the scenario making realm is a cruel heartless entity to allow such heathens things like that. affraid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top