» Daytime Games - ACW or Nap
by Interlocutor Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:16 pm

» Play multyplayer
by Manson Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:49 pm

» Video of the new Scenario Design Module for General Staff
by Dr Ezra Sidran Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:07 pm

» AARs - post here all after battle comments and replay files
by Mr. Digby Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:02 am

» 7th May face-to-face game at Little Gaddesden - Bloody Vikings!
by Martin Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:55 pm

» Screen shot of the Scenario Design Module for General Staff
by Dr Ezra Sidran Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:34 pm

» Free maps of Europe
by King_Rufus Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:35 pm

» Wargaming in the military
by Martin Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:43 pm

» Readymade Kriegsspiel "blocks"
by PhotonCutterTome Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:01 pm

» Submarine Warfare
by Martin Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:14 pm

Statistics
We have 913 registered users
The newest registered user is gmapsnz

Our users have posted a total of 23075 messages in 1869 subjects

I forgot my password

Club Election. A Triumph for Democracy! Swamp Drained!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Club Election. A Triumph for Democracy! Swamp Drained!

Post  Martin on Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:10 am

A Triumph for Democracy!  Swamp Drained!

The 1809 game was over, and the club members collected in hushed and respectful conclave for the AGM.  Young recruits and greybeards alike, united in a common bond.  True, the club has been hit by repeated scandals in the last year, but now was the chance to put things right.  

The Chair called the meeting to order, and handed the floor to the Treasurer.  Members were reassured that his brief report showed a surplus of £35 for the year.

The existing committee then stood down:  Steve ‘Chainsaw’ Hockin (Chair), Sean ‘Baby-face’ Collins (Secretary), and ‘Desperate’ Dave Commerford (Treasurer) slithered descended from the podium and took their seats among members.

Pickled-onion billionaire Lord Dowden of Macaroon had confounded reports of his abduction by attending the AGM.  To all appearances he seemed well, and none the worse for his adventures.  Pickled-onions were disbursed to members in liberal quantities.  To the great surprise of many however, he did not stand for any of the vacant positions.  

Instead, the following replacement committee members were duly elected:  Mr Steven Hockin (Chair), the Honourable Sean Montefiore Collins (Secretary), and David Commerford Esq (Treasurer).  

The results were greeted with acclamation, which rose to a crescendo as the new Club Chair gave a rousing speech, confirming the arrival of the ‘Gaddesden Spring’.  He discounted the wild recent claim that the previous committee were actually reptilian aliens from the planet Mwaag, but accepted that there had been problems.  He stressed that things would be very different under the new committee, and climaxed with the claim “We have drained the swamp”.  

There was no reference to the vexed Great Gaddesden question, but he did announce that club funds are to be used for the foundation of a hi-tech Purple Slime Emporium, giving a much-needed boost to employment in Little Gaddesden.  This last was greeted by loud cheers.  

Due process completed, the assembled throng commenced extended celebrations which lasted far into the night.  During the course of the festivities, the Bridgewater Arms public house was burnt to the ground by well-meaning but over-enthusiastic revellers.

Burlington H Grumble
Chief Political Correspondent, Chiltern Gazette

Martin

Back to top Go down

Re: Club Election. A Triumph for Democracy! Swamp Drained!

Post  Uncle Billy on Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:02 pm

Terrible. Rigged election. Millions of illegal voters. Candidates wiretapped. So sad.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby on Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:31 pm

Does Little Gaddesden have wiring? I mean... don't you need electricity to tap phone lines?

Perhaps Kevin meant either kidnapping the messenger pigeons or adding the wrong kind of leaves to the fires so the smoke signals went wrong.

"Any hussar who has not got himself killed by the age of 30 is a jackass." - Antoine Charles Louis Lasalle, commander of Napoleon's light cavalry, killed in battle at Wagram 6 July 1809, aged 34.

"I had forgotten there was an objective." - Generallieutenant Mikhail Borozdin I
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin on Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:48 pm

Well I hear a pitchfork's gone missing at Molly Wainright's cottage.  So strange things are definitely happening in the village.......

A concerned resident

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby on Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:34 pm

I heard there has been a run on blue woad at the corner shoppe as well.

"Any hussar who has not got himself killed by the age of 30 is a jackass." - Antoine Charles Louis Lasalle, commander of Napoleon's light cavalry, killed in battle at Wagram 6 July 1809, aged 34.

"I had forgotten there was an objective." - Generallieutenant Mikhail Borozdin I
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin on Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:00 pm

Yes, nasty business.  They say an American's been seen over in Berkhamsted too.  Goodness me, whatever next?   It's all rather frightening.

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby on Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:25 am

Berkhamstead? That explains it. They're a funny lot over there, probably all foreign johnnies. No wonder they allow Americans in. No standards at all. Pish.

Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  King_Rufus on Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:19 pm

At the AGM, Burl Grumble was also voted KING of fake news
King_Rufus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top