» KS Napoleonic with Portraits
by Grog Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:26 pm

» Regular MP Scourge of War games on Fri 11th and Sat 12th April
by Leffe7 Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:48 pm

» Set Up for SOW NAPOLEON GAMES For Kriegspiel style
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:07 pm

» Some suggestions for scenarios design
by Mr. Digby Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:41 pm

» Anyone for an ad hoc SOW MP game this Thursday?
by Martin Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:30 pm

» Yesterday battle videos
by Leffe7 Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:19 am

» Impromptu Games
by Mr. Digby Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:27 pm

» Week-End with the scenario day 04/04-05/04 2014 - Hills of Hell
by WSH Baylor Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:40 pm

Statistics
We have 237 registered users
The newest registered user is Ossel

Our users have posted a total of 9126 messages in 1008 subjects

I forgot my password

Finally a kriegsspiel on the PC? Gettysburg: Scourge of War review

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Finally a kriegsspiel on the PC? Gettysburg: Scourge of War review

Post  Martin on Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:43 pm

Brigade command should be no problem, pardner.

We are making good progress with this. Positive response from the youngsters, and also several of the 'more mature' players, who discussed this at today's k/spiel, while the umpires were beavering away at whatever umpires do.

In summary we currently have 8 potential players, 2 of whom have super-fast broadband, so can easily host a game of this size.

Details are to be finalised but we will probably aim for an evening game during a weekend (given that you are based in New York, Pete, and we have to accommodate the time-difference). Depending on final numbers, we will probably start with a corps-level game, and most individuals will command divisions & brigades. As already discussed, we will probably initially all play on one side, although there is no reason why we cannot have 2 teams for some future games. The AI does a pretty fair job as an opponent btw.

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete Maidhof on Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:06 am

Sounds good to me Martin. Keep me posted.

Pete Maidhof

Back to top Go down

I'm in!

Post  Streetgang6 on Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:52 am

Pete Maidhof wrote:Sounds good to me Martin. Keep me posted.

Pete, Martin,
By all means count me in as well! I picked up SoW based upon Martin's review, and I'm glad I did. The HITS concept is exactly what I was looking for.

Since I'm "de-lurking," I may as well mention that I'm running an experiment next Wednesday with some of my students (I work for James as an instructor at the US Army's Command & General Staff College). I'm going to be running a KS scenario in the morning using the traditional double blind map system of Buford's actions on the first day of Gettysburg at McPerson's farm, and that afternoon refighting the engagement in SoW using the Day 1 scenario "The Boys Got Their Dander Up." My students are US Army majors assigned as Simulations Operations officers; the purpose of this experiment is to demonstrate to them the comparison and contrast of a manual simulation vs a computer simulation (as well as to introduce them to THE foundational wargame of our field).

I've been in touch with the folks at Norbsoft about this and they have very gracioulsy offered me their assistance with this. I can't say enough good things about them!

I'll let you all know next week how it turned out.

Mike

Streetgang6

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin on Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:28 pm

That's great Mark. Can you & Pete please email me at martin_a_james@tiscali.co.uk, so I can add you to the circulation list for when I am arranging the game, or hopefully games.

Yes please do share your experience with the majors next Wednesday. Will James be involved? I have many fond memories of kriegsspieling with him & Corinne when they were over in the UK doing their PHDs.

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  MJ1 on Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:30 pm

Streetgang6 wrote:

I'll let you all know next week how it turned out.

Mike

Someone needs to go to Spec Savers

MJ1

Back to top Go down

Post  James Sterrett on Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:57 pm

Martin wrote:That's great Mike.

Will James be involved? I have many fond memories of kriegsspieling with him & Corinne when they were over in the UK doing their PHDs.

Martin

I'll be on the road next week, and thus sadly unable to take part.

We have fond memories of Kriegsspiel with you guys, too - and try to run it here when we can. Smile

And, in all honesty, Kriegsspiel changed my life - discovering you guys at the Victorian Society Fair back in 1995 is one of the key events that leads to my being employed where I am today. Smile

James Sterrett

Back to top Go down

Post  hammurabi70 on Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:31 pm

James Sterrett wrote:And, in all honesty, Kriegsspiel changed my life - discovering you guys at the Victorian Society Fair back in 1995 is one of the key events that leads to my being employed where I am today. Smile

Ooh gosh! Do tell more.
cyclops Shocked sunny santa

hammurabi70

Back to top Go down

Post  James Sterrett on Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:50 pm

hammurabi70 wrote:
James Sterrett wrote:And, in all honesty, Kriegsspiel changed my life - discovering you guys at the Victorian Society Fair back in 1995 is one of the key events that leads to my being employed where I am today. Smile

Ooh gosh! Do tell more.
cyclops Shocked sunny santa

Well, first off, I did what Corinne told me to do, and accompanied her to the Fair. Smile

We were hooked from the first game (at the Fair), and we came to all the events we could. Bill and Martin did their best to teach me umpiring.

Kriegsspiel is, by itself, a decent window into running exercises. The next year, in 1996, TacOps came out on PCs. Several of us on the TacOps mailing list tried to figure out how to run a game with more than two people in it. In a blinding flash of the obvious, I realized I could apply Kriegsspiel techniques to the problem - run the game on my computer, while everybody else connected via IRC chat.

We ran the first test game in Bill's cottage. Smile

I ran a lot of these games over the next 5 or 6 years. Many of the participants were former or current military, and happy to teach everybody, including me; I learned quite a bit. I wrote AARs fdor most of the exercises - you can still find some of them at this site.

Fast forward to the summer of 2004, as I am waiting to finally defend that PhD. On the TacOps mailing list, I learn that the US Army Command & General Staff College 1) uses TacOps and 2) is hiring for their simulations team. I figured I'd never forgive myself if I didn't apply - and they hired me. Seven years later, I'm the Deputy Chief of the Simulations Division.

I promptly got put onto the task to writing and teaching the course on training with simulations for the Army's simulation officers while they were at CGSC. (Mike, hired just under a year ago, now teaches half of those classes.)

I've included a demonstration of Kriegsspiel in the course from the start. There are several obvious reasons - show the students the history of simulations; discuss the argument between free and strict Kriegsspiel, which is still relevant today; and to point out to them that all our fancy computers change some of the method, but not the purpose, of running training exercises. What I don't always tell them is this tale of why I owe Kriegsspiel (and TacOps) my job. Cool

Of course, if you go back a few decades farther, you find that one particular teacher - Tim Jones - was decisive in planting my fascination with wargames and was also one of my best history teachers. However, if we hadn't walked into the Victorian Society Fair in 1995 and played Kriegsspiel with (IIRC) Bill and Arthur, I'd probably be a struggling history professor somewhere.

James Sterrett

Back to top Go down

Post  MJ1 on Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:29 pm

James thanks for the link to the AAR page and I have known about TacOps for quite a while but never dipped my toes as too busy with CM and CM2. I just read some of the AAR's and the points you make are good.

An Excellent resource and sounds like you found the right path in life....

Cheers

MJ

MJ1

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin on Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:56 am

Some folks on the game forum at Norbsoft have recommended a programe called Teamspeak as an improvement over Skype for when 2 or more players meet up on the battlefield.

Although it seems primarilly designed for full team conversations in online games, you can apparently set up something called whisper hotkeys so you can talk one to one without the rest of the team hearing. Has anyone used Teamspeak?

Martin

PS there's a new addition due out before Xmas I think. This will feature the bbattles of Antietam and (I think) South Mountain, with new maps & OOBs, plus apparently some improvements to the courier system.

Martin

Back to top Go down

Teamspeak

Post  Pete Maidhof on Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:14 pm

Yes, I have TeamSpeak 3 and have used it sparingly for games such as TacOps and Steel Beasts.

http://www.teamspeak.com/?page=teamspeak3

Obviously, one would need speaks and a microphone to use, perhaps a headphone not to upset the family. Very Happy

Pete Maidhof

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin on Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:12 pm

Thanks for the link Pete. I'll check it out. Have you used the whisper hotkeys function?

I need to make sure I know how to use Teamspeak. Have also asked on the game forum whether it would be best to play using a WAN emulator as previously, or over the internet using the 'lobby' function that Norbsoft bprovides. No-one has yet answered that one.

Having resolved those two technical issues, I think the next step will be to try a small game as a test.

It may be that I have been over-optimistic in expecting to run our main game in mid December. We'll just have to see how things go in the next couple of weeks.

I will post periodic progress reports in any event.

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete Maidhof on Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:50 am

Martin,

Yes, we used the whisper function. Should you download and install Team Sepak 3, let me know and we can set up some comm-checks prior to any games so that we have the process down.

Pete

Pete Maidhof

Back to top Go down

Post  Callum on Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:18 am

I'am really on the edge of buying this game, would I be able to get in on this game I have TS and live in the United Kingdom Very Happy

Callum

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin on Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:46 am

Pete Maidhof wrote:Martin,

Yes, we used the whisper function. Should you download and install Team Sepak 3, let me know and we can set up some comm-checks prior to any games so that we have the process down.

Pete

Excellent. I'll do that sometime in the next week or so, and we'll try it out.

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top