The newest registered user is baoyuxuan

Our users have posted a total of 9112 messages in 1007 subjects

I forgot my password

Finally a kriegsspiel on the PC? Gettysburg: Scourge of War review

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Finally a kriegsspiel on the PC? Gettysburg: Scourge of War review

Post  Ike on Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:32 am

And this Thursday (19 Jan), Martin and I tested the 'Trans-Atlantic Cable' and played for nearly 4 hours (including set-up time and his walking me through the set up and connection using Hamachi etc) without difficulties. The scenario was a sandbox of two weak Corps. He and I were both Confederate Division CO's - possibly a mistake as our Corps CO put Martin into reserve and sent me chasing around to find the Union Corps - a great deal of time was spent coaching me through the use of couriers and the mechanics of that as well as of issuing movement orders for the entire Division at one time. Also time was eaten up with my attempt to reach the rear of the Union position - well, of the objective, but it seemed reasonable to approach it as if it were occupied and it was! - as well as trying out our notions of how couriers ought to be used while chatting about this and that via TeamSpeak. We were trying not to discuss the tactical situation using TS using the couriers for messages relevant to that, while we discussed other things and ideas about Gettysburg. It was an unqualified success as we had no issues with connection or lag and by the way we used MTG's work-around for the courier issues discussed on the SOW forums; why do that? Because it saves the one mod we can use with MP for something else. My troops did well until they were climbing over the back of the low mountain to come upon the Yankees' rear; I failed to rest them sufficiently and deploy them into line before contact.

Regarding finding out the casualties of other player's units, I think that ought to be reported to the higher HQ by courier, using the free text option on the messages. Not very accurate? True, but neither were the casualty reports during any real battles from Sargon the Great through at least the ones I was in, in Vietnam. Have to wait for the after-action reports to get anything resembling accurate figures. During our battles, I should think that a CO would keep an eye on his regiments' Morale and Fatigue states as well as their numbers and would be more likely to message his superior "My boys are about played out, General, and I request relief and if that's not handy then reinforcement with fresh troops.", rather than "My casualties are 1,095 men and we're exhausted and our morale is near Broken." There's quite a bit to do as a Division CO - and I expect as a Corps CO - in Gettysburg; keeps me too busy to have more than a very rough idea of casualties, as I'm watching my flanks, how my attack is going, how my opponent's attack is going, and how my regiments are holding up in terms of morale and fatigue rather than strength. Smile

For what it's worth, I've posted on my Gettysburg blog about Martin and my ideas for starting out with a set of random scenarios for the game - inspired by and a bit like the Twelve Scenarios for Kriegsspiel that Bill Leeson wrote up some time back and that can be had from Too Fat Lardies - and the other ideas were were brain-storming during our Thursday game. That url is http://ccnabbol.wordpress.com/ and comments are both welcome and open on that post. I've emailed a shorter version to all those in the Gettyburg Group here at these fora.

Just an update. Maybe a new thread for the Gettysburg Group? Dunno, but take a look at the blog and see what you think.

Ike

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin on Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:39 pm

Many thanks Ike. Excellent game on Thursday with no technical hitches, even though we are several thousand miles apart.

Some interesting ideas on your blog too. Am really quite excited about what we can do with this game.

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  hammurabi70 on Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:29 pm

Martin wrote:Many thanks Ike. Excellent game on Thursday with no technical hitches, even though we are several thousand miles apart.

Some interesting ideas on your blog too. Am really quite excited about what we can do with this game.

Martin

It looks like we can link machines on a global basis. The possibilities for this are massive and very exciting! cyclops bounce

hammurabi70

Back to top Go down

Post  Ike on Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:04 am

Yes, Hamachi makes it much easier. When I was playing Blood Bowl, I had games with people from Australia, New Zealand, France, Germany, Denmark, Russia, Italy ... I think Singapore as well. And BB is a much simpler program, so you're right that things have improved. Looking forward to it, myself.

Ike

Back to top Go down

Post  Callum on Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:25 pm

It all seems jolly good, Im just wondering as to when we can begin to have games. Smile

Callum

Back to top Go down

Post  Ike on Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:14 pm

When can we begin to have games? Let me see ... (1) do you have the SOW:Gettysburg program and have you installed it and patched it to 1.4? (2) Have you downloaded Hamachi and installed it and patched it (don't recall the version #, but it has an auto-updater)? (3) Have you completed at least the infantry brigade tutorial in the SOW:Gettysburg, so you have at least a basic idea of how the units are controlled in-game? (4) Have you downloaded TeamSpeak and connected with our Gettysburg Group's TS server? (Don't have the IP etc? PM me.) Now go to the blog that I mentioned in my last post and read the most recent post there; I'm trying to get teams of 4 together to play Division level against the AI in a tournament. Here's the blog url again: http://ccnabbol.wordpress.com/ . All are welcome, but you need those four things to begin with: up-to-date game program, Hamachi program, a basic idea of how to control your units in-game and the TS program. Or, you can go to the SOW website, url http://www.scourgeofwar.com/index.shtml and click on "Community" that takes you to the forums. Check out the Multiplayer Category there and join the GCM. There's a separate sub-category for it and a "Recruitment" thread with links to all the stuff you'll need for that. Not a lot, just follow the links and explanations. All aboard! Very Happy

Ike

Back to top Go down

Post  Blaugrana on Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:07 pm

A regular time to meet in the TS server is, IMO, essential.

I 'popped in' last night and there was no-one there, had a look at the GCM server, where there were people, and had a game. Ike was on the opposing, and winning, side ;-)

I need to learn how to be in two TS servers at the same time (if this is possible), so I can 'loiter' in both places.

GCM has games every night, of 6-18 players, because there are a number of people there, between certain times, pretty much every day.

HTH,

Jeff / Blaugrana

PS - am in the Gettysburg TS server now, on my lonesome

Blaugrana

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin on Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:38 am

Blaugrana wrote:A regular time to meet in the TS server is, IMO, essential.

Ok let's try it and see. What about 7.30 pm UK time. I'm tied-up this weekend, but will try and go on our T/S server Monday-Wednesday evening.

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Blaugrana on Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:53 am

Ike has said, on his blog, that he will try and be on the server at around 8 pm GMT as often as possible. Is that OK too?
I can't tonight but will try when I can. I have pointed two other players of the game (who have expressed interest in more historical MP play) to Ike's blog.

Blaugrana

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin on Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:10 pm

Blaugrana wrote:Ike has said, on his blog, that he will try and be on the server at around 8 pm GMT as often as possible. Is that OK too?
I can't tonight but will try when I can. I have pointed two other players of the game (who have expressed interest in more historical MP play) to Ike's blog.

Ok let's say 8 pm then.

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ike on Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:33 am

Right; I'll try for 2:00 pm my time that's 8:00 pm your time. Confuse an old man, why don't you?? Laughing

Ike

Back to top Go down

Post  CoB4thTEXAS on Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:26 am

I can set that time aside also, for any day of the week.

I remember there being a Hamachi ip address to set , but I still cant find it, could someone help point me to it?

CoB4thTEXAS

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin on Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:38 am

Have just circulated details of the Hamachi network by email to the MP group.

Depending on how many we get for our first game, we need to think about who will host. Can anyone who is planning to join please do a connection speed test so we can swap 'vital statistics'.

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin on Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:55 pm

Game didn't come to pass yesterday, but I intend being on the T/S server at 8 pm trhis evening GMT in case anyone would like a game.

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ike on Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:58 am

Unfortunately, today was a shopping day, but I shall be there tomorrow, right after my doctor appointment. I've updated the forums and all are welcome to visit and join if you have any interest in SOW:Gettysburg and campaigning using that excellent game program. bounce

Ike

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top