» Impromptu Games
by MRM Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:21 pm

» New Player Intro
by Uncle Billy Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:51 am

» 1914 WW1 Kriegsspiel
by Iconoclast Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:09 pm

» Sunday 22 April 2018 Kriegsspiel
by Martin Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:57 pm

» Small beginner group looking to find a home in North America.....
by Tactical Wargamer Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:05 pm

» AI OPTIONS
by Uncle Billy Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:28 pm

» SOWWL Napoleon Mod 1.27 Released
by Uncle Billy Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:23 pm

» Issues with Peninsula OOB
by Uncle Billy Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:38 am

» Creating OOB mod procedure?
by Uncle Billy Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:10 pm

Statistics
We have 1012 registered users
The newest registered user is Odovacer

Our users have posted a total of 24610 messages in 1966 subjects

I forgot my password

SOWWL Napoleon Mod 1.27 Released

Go down

SOWWL Napoleon Mod 1.27 Released

Post  Uncle Billy on Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:49 pm

The latest version of the SOW Napoleon mod had been uploaded.  It is version 1.27.  Version 1.06 of the Sprite mod and 1.18 of the map mod are also available.
They can be found in the first post of the Setup for SOWWL KS Napoleon Mod thread.   Here is the link: Latest KS Napoleon Mod Download

New in this update:
1. There is now a Player's Manual for the KS mod.  It can found in a sub-folder labeled Manuals in the KS mod.  It gives many specifics of the mod, why it is the way it is and tips for playing.
2. Cavalry patrols can now be split from a parent regiment and will go off and search for the enemy.  When they are found, the scouts will send back a detailed report with their location, the location, direction of movement and composition of the enemy they see.  This opens up a new facet of the game.  See the manual for details of how to do this.
3. Most of the scenarios that come with the mod have been updated and should work properly.
4. A number of new sprites have been added including Saxon cavalry, 1806 Prussian infantry, (very colorful now), some 1800 French cavalry and infantry, 1805 Russian grenadiers, Polish voltigeurs and winter fusiliers, more Austrian helmeted fusiliers and Russian hussars.  Thanks to Jim Davey for his continued and constant work.
5. A few map corrections.

Back to top Go down

Prussian Brigades chasing Cavalry Scouts

Post  cratcliffe300 on Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:58 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the fantastic KS Mods!

I recently installed the new versions of the three mods. I mainly play SP and I am currently playing my first battle (France vs Russia) with the new mods.

I used the new Cavalry Scouts option. Now I only have one game to go by, but in two instances in this battle a Russian Brigade has chased one of my Scout Cavalry across the map. One Brigade chased one Cavalry Scout unit right between two of my Infantry Divisions, the other cornered a Scout unit in the upper right corner of the map and just stayed there.

The Russian Brigade that went between my two divisions ignored them and ignored the flanking fire from the Division Artillery. The brigade only turned to fight one of my brigades once I flanked it.

Also, I do not know if the AI will take advantage of the Scouting option. If not, then I won't either, which would solve this.

Thanks!

Chris

cratcliffe300

Back to top Go down

Re: SOWWL Napoleon Mod 1.27 Released

Post  rschilla on Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:17 pm

Just started messing around with this. Looks quite impressive.

rschilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy on Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:50 pm

I used the new Cavalry Scouts option. Now I only have one game to go by, but in two instances in this battle a Russian Brigade has chased one of my Scout Cavalry across the map. One Brigade chased one Cavalry Scout unit right between two of my Infantry Divisions, the other cornered a Scout unit in the upper right corner of the map and just stayed there.

The Russian Brigade that went between my two divisions ignored them and ignored the flanking fire from the Division Artillery. The brigade only turned to fight one of my brigades once I flanked it.
First welcome to the forum and thanks for the kind words.

Did you TC or otherwise take direct control of the scouts?  In their default mode, when enemy cavalry approaches the scouts, they should stop scouting and return to their parent regiment.  They will move fairly quickly and should leave the enemy cavalry far behind.  The enemy cavalry will lose interest and go back to what it was doing previously.

Also, I do not know if the AI will take advantage of the Scouting option. If not, then I won't either, which would solve this.
No, the AI does not use scouts.  It does not know what to do with the scouting information and no way to teach it.

Back to top Go down

Post  cratcliffe300 on Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:32 am

Thanks for the quick reply. I did not TC the scouts just pointed on the map where I wanted them to go.

And sorry, I did not make myself clear, they were two Infantry Brigades not Cav Brigades that followed them.

I won't use them in SP then if AI won't.

BTW is there as specific Mod load order for the KS mods themselves?

Thanks again.

cratcliffe300

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy on Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:08 pm

That is very unusual to have infantry follow the scouts. They will normally pay them no mind as they are not deemed a threat. Only cavalry take an interest in them and will drive them off. Were the scouts still in scout mode? Was only the green scout button visible on the orders tab or all four? If the scouts had been driven off by cavalry and were returning home, you may have inadvertently sent them back out to scout. In that situation, they would be viewed as regular cavalry, not scouts, and subject to prosecution.

Don't worry about using them in SP. Using them reduces the number of meeting engagements that occur in sandbox games. It allows a bit of pre-planning before the fighting starts.
BTW is there as specific Mod load order for the KS mods themselves?
No, they can be loaded in any order.

Back to top Go down

Post  cratcliffe300 on Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:08 am

The Scouts had been driven off and I did try to scout some more with them afterwards. So that would mean they became reg cavalry after being driven off.

Ok that would explain a lot thanks!

I still wish NS could change the AI reaction so it didn't send a whole brigade off like hounds chasing a fox though!

cratcliffe300

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy on Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:23 pm

I still wish NS could change the AI reaction so it didn't send a whole brigade off like hounds chasing a fox though!
It's not really the AI but the game engine that creates this situation. It has to do with the reaction range of the brigade. It's different for different stances. The more aggressive the stance, the larger the range. Unfortunately, there is no way to set the stance in the AI code. I know that sounds strange, but that's the way it is.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down