» Map Modding Q&A
by Mr. Digby Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:53 pm

» Greetings from Toronto
by Mr. Digby Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:26 pm

» TeamSpeak server during Hurricane Irma
by MRM Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:07 pm

» User Scenarios and AI behavior
by Mr. Digby Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:00 pm

» ORIGINAL - KRIEGSSPIEL - Reisswitz 1824 - FIRST EDITION!
by Filibustero Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:44 am

Statistics
We have 981 registered users
The newest registered user is jajg1950

Our users have posted a total of 23971 messages in 1917 subjects
Keywords

I forgot my password

The Father General's Opportunity (campaign - new scenario announcement)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Father General's Opportunity (campaign - new scenario announcement)

Post  Father General on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:01 pm

A new scenario is in the works. Working with Baldwin, the Father General is back, The Good Book in one hand (Hardee's Tactics) and the Bible in the other. This time, he aims to take Washington! But not if the Army of the Potomac can help it...

Father General

Back to top Go down

Re: The Father General's Opportunity (campaign - new scenario announcement)

Post  Father General on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:02 pm

General Lee was greatly perturbed. A breathless aide had just alerted him that generals Jackson and Neal were having another row, and he was concerned that this time it would come to blows – or worse. The elder general arose from his desk and walked briskly to the door of his headquarters house. As soon as he stepped outside and donned his hat, he could hear their shouting coming from the cottage across the road. This was a serious argument to say the least.

Generals Jackson and Neal were the worst of rivals, which was ironic for all the men had in common. Both were fighters, fiercely dedicated to the cause. They were deeply religious, so much so that Neal’s men had sarcastically dubbed him “The Father General.” However, these similarities led to a natural rivalry as both men constantly tried to outperform the other. For this reason, Lee often tried to keep them apart, often sending Neal on missions away from the main body of the army.

As Lee grew closer, he was able to ascertain their current argument was one of the worst sort—blending religion and war, never a good thing.

General Lee opened the door to the cottage to see his two commanders face to face, and shouting as startled aides stood back against the walls. Both men reacted to his entry by breaking their exchange and saluting in unison. If the situation had not been serious, it would have appeared comical.

“Gentlemen,” Lee spoke softly and slow, “What, may I ask is the cause of this commotion?”

Both men began stating their case, each one trying to raise his voice over the other. Lee was at a loss until the shouting once again, inexplicably ceased.

“General Jackson, I fear I did not hear you. Please tell me again, what is the cause of this?”

Neal was silent while Jackson explained, “General Lee, I was explaining to my aides that we must do all we can to avoid battles on Sunday, out of respect for keeping the Sabbath day. That was when General Neal here decided to intrude upon my conversation and insist otherwise.”

“It is my duty,” Neal interrupted, “to explain away this heresy, General. Our duty is sacred and there is no greater duty one can perform on the Sabbath as to devote oneself fully to the destruction of the Devil and his blue-clad imps.”

“That is ridiculous,” Jackson interjected.

“I have graduated seminary, sir, I know these matters better than you!” Neal countered.

The duo descended into shouting. Lee, quite fed up at this point, gave a rare display of anger himself. Shaking his fist at the generals he said, “You men are the pride of this army! I will not have you squabbling over these, these trivialities! We fight when the enemy forces us, and on no other day! Now I order you to cease this bickering at once!”

The quarreling generals cast their eyes to the floor for a moment as though they were children caught in mischief.

“General Neal,” Lee said quietly, his flash of anger past. “Please come with me to my headquarters, I have orders for that concern your division.”

“Yes sir.” Neal replied.

General Neal had come with his vaunted Third Division to the Army of Northern Virginia as a remnant of the now disbanded Army of the Shenandoah. Throughout the fall of ’61, his division participated in a campaign to keep the Federals out of the valley. He was successful, but the costs had been great. His brigades were capable however, and his 1st Mississippi Volunteer Rifles were perhaps the best trained and equipped regiment in the Confederacy. He was an asset, when he wasn’t making frontal assaults on entrenched enemies, or clashing with his peers, both were terrible habits.

A moment later, Neal was standing before Lee’s desk.

“General, the Federals are coming at us again and will arrive before our position by tomorrow evening. Our time is short. I am certain they outnumber us, and I have little knowledge if they intend to attack, or if they will be cautious and wait. In any circumstance, we must not delay. I need you to disrupt their plans.”

Neal was delighted to hear this and a smile beamed from his face – a rare occurrence for the normally stern and reserved commander.

“I would be honored,” Neal replied, but Lee stopped him with a raised hand.

“There’s more.” Neal became silent and serious. Lee continued, “You are not to attack these Federals.”

Neal’s expression changed to surprise, but he stifled the complaint welling in his chest.

“I need you to make a diversionary march against Washington.”

Neal leaned forward, just slightly at the prospect. He was anxious for such an opportunity.

“You will take your division and march overland, into the mountains to the west. You will cross the Shenandoah, and pass over those mountains as well. Once you have gained the ridges above the valley, you are to turn north and sweep around until you are well away from the Army of the Potomac and her supporting elements. You will approach Washington from the north and west, if possible. I am hopeful that you will encounter no opposition, until you reach the forts.”

“And if I reach the city, do I have permission to take it?”

Lee contemplated for a moment. “I cannot say your division will be sufficient to take the city, but certainly any disruption you might cause to the enemy’s lines of communications will be most useful. But General Neal – you must move quickly away from this army, before Union scouts come close enough to observe your departure. They must not know you are on this mission until you appear near Washington. Your surprise will certainly lure a division or more away from the Army of the Potomac to protect Washington and that will give us the opportunity to whip the Federals that remain.”

“Sir, my division is ready, and we can march before dark – with your permission, of course.”

“Granted. That is all, sir. May God go with you.”

General Neal beamed with excitement. “Might you join me in prayer, General Lee, as we give thanks for this opportunity?”

Lee did not move an inch. The Father General’s prayers were a bit much for one man to stand, especially when there was so much work to do. Lee sternly repeated, “May God go with you, General Neal.”

Neal saluted and left.

Within a few hours, his division was formed and by dusk they were well on their way to the west. Drums and fifes played the march as General Neal proudly led his men into the sunset, wholly unaware that from a great distance a lone Union scout with a spyglass was counting his brigades in the fading light…
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:12 pm

Oh good. Are you bringing the table service? Is it shiny? I like shiny silver! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Baldwin1 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:31 pm

OOB Setup and Doodle

Please follow this doodle link to register: http://doodle.com/hb87699wyyi9t76v

The date most people could make was Sept 2nd, 19:30 UK Time -- (2:30PM EST)

Very fitting that the Father General's Battle be fought on a Sunday Very Happy

Martin, if you prefer to control Artillery instead of Inf, just let me know I'll switch it. Neal is fine with any role.

Confederate Division Commander (Martin)
1st Inf Bde (Digby)
2nd Inf Bde
3rd Inf Bde (Cleburne)
4th Inf Bde (Baldwin)
Artillery -

Union Division Commander (Marching Through Georgia)
1st Inf Bde (Hays)
2nd Inf Bde (Jeff)
3rd Inf Bde (Leffe)
4th Inf Bde
Cav Bde (2 Companies) (Flashman, if present)
Artillery

You will need Antietam Expansion, Couriers & Maps Mod and 2nd Manassas Mod.

Last edited by Baldwin1 on Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:49 am; edited 6 times in total
Baldwin1

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby on Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:34 pm

I'm a teensy bit concerned one of the scenario designers is playing the command of one side. In our scenario games the designer always takes as minor a role as possible. Might the Reb C-in-C role be taken by a player ignorant of the plan?

"Any hussar who has not got himself killed by the age of 30 is a jackass." - Antoine Charles Louis Lasalle, commander of Napoleon's light cavalry, killed in battle at Wagram 6 July 1809, aged 34.

"I had forgotten there was an objective." - Generallieutenant Mikhail Borozdin I
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Baldwin1 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:55 pm

That's a good point and keeping with tradition. We'll open the spot up then.
Baldwin1

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General on Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:34 am

Mr. Digby wrote:I'm a teensy bit concerned one of the scenario designers is playing the command of one side. In our scenario games the designer always takes as minor a role as possible. Might the Reb C-in-C role be taken by a player ignorant of the plan?

Digby, I agree. I will take my brigade if I may, or if the scenario is full I will observe rather than play. :-)

I just like writing about Father General and being a bit over the top with him. He's a fun character!

Father General

Back to top Go down

General M.T.Georgia's rude awakening

Post  Father General on Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:31 am

The war had been good to Major General William M.T. Georgia, very good indeed.

He slumbered peacefully in a Maryland farmhouse, far from the fighting in Virginia. In bed next to him was a gorgeous young woman whose visage had yet to see the age of five-and-twenty. She was an unfortunate widow of the war who found herself in the ownership of a fine country farmhouse and a large set of china and silverware, that the Major General noticed upon his initial inspection.

Her other, most desirable features did not escape his inspection either. He felt bad that he could not remember her name, but such was the grim nature of war. He often mused to himself, that it didn’t pay to get to know people for any extended period of time.

Ah, but good things come to an end, as they did for General Georgia around 3 o’clock that morning. A loud rap at the bedroom door startled the embraced couple awake. “General, you need to come downstairs. There’s someone here form the War Department on urgent business. General, are you awake?”

The urgency in his aide’s voice startled his mind out of a foggy sleep. Immediately and quite unceremoniously, he pushed the half-naked body of his latest conquest off his chest and arose from bed. He could tell she wanted to protest, but she kept silent. Sally was such a good woman. Was it Sally? Or Mary? “Ah, never mind” he thought to himself, now pulling his trousers up.

In a moment the annoyed general was downstairs to greet the uniformed officer waiting anxiously in the parlor. General Georgia was rather dismayed to see he wore colonel’s shoulderboards of the black variety. He was a mere staff officer. Could it wait?

“What’s brings you out here Colonel?” General Georgia asked.

“Sir, I am sorry to disturb your sleep, but there’s an emergency.”

“Well that’s good news,” Georgia laughed, thinking he certainly didn’t care to be roused for nothing. The colonel returned a quizzical look.

“Are you drunk, sir?”

“Drunk? Bah, no. I haven’t had a drink since, oh, what time is it again?”

The colonel didn’t bother to respond. Instead he reached into his coat and produced a flask, which he offered the general. “What is this?”

“Medicine sir. Very strong medicine.”

“Well thank you. I am feeling a bit –unwell.” It was true, a headache was already raging. In a few swigs, the general finished the flask and handed it back. He then seated himself on the parlor sofa while the ‘medicine’ took hold. The colonel waited impatiently.

Soon, the hair of the dog was doing its work and the general was ready to discuss business.

The colonel produced a paper from his pocket. “These sir,” he said as he unfolded the paper and offered it to Georgia, “are your orders.”

“It’s a bit dark to read,” the general sarcastically commented. “But oh look here, I can see they’re signed by the President himself. Look at that. Now, why don’t you explain, very carefully, what’s going on here. I’ like to get back to bed. If you and—Jenny, I think, don’t mind.”

“Sir, there’s a Confederate division not twenty miles from this location. And they aim to move this direction.”

General Georgia blinked with surprise. Suddenly, he felt quite awake. It could be the alcohol, he thought to himself. Yes, it’s the alcohol, not surprise—he was sure of that.

“How did this happen?” he managed to stammer.

“They detached from the Army of Northern Virginia a week ago, the day before the Army of the Potomac arrived. Scouts saw them moving west, right through the Shenandoah Valley and up into the mountains beyond.”

“Into the mountains?” the general replied incredulously.

“Yes. We lost them for a few days, but they’ve reemerged.”

“How could they march through there? I mean it has to be all underbrush and uphill…”

“I have no idea sir, but our reports are considered reliable.”

“So what are they doing?”

“We think they’re attempting to make a diversionary raid by threatening Washington.”

“Well, that’s insane,” Georgia replied, now becoming relieved that any such division would be eventually handled. “No division can complete that march and threaten Washington. Whatever men the commander has left are surely tired and half-whipped by those mountains.”

“The War Department doesn’t feel that way, sir. It’s Third Division, old Army of the Shenandoah.”

An unwelcome understanding lodged in General Georgia’s brain like a bullet. “You mean—As in last year’s Army of the Shenandoah?”

“Yes sir. We think it’s the Father General.”

“Oh my God.” General Georgia leaned back and looked up at the ceiling. General Neal, also known as the Father General, was nothing less than the single-most crazed and insane commander tolerated by the Confederate Army. His record of battle honors was almost as long as the rosters of dead men he left behind on the field. He was plain and simple, a butcher of men, and that dubious distinction included his own troops.

“I stand corrected, Colonel. I thought no man would be so insane as to attempt such a maneuver, but General Neal, from everything I’ve read, he’d be the one to do it. Are you sure it’s him?”

“Yes general, it’s him alright. His flag has been observed. He also has his Mississippi boys with him.”

“That’s right, he has that regiment.” Georgia thought about what he knew of the 1st Mississippi Volunteer Rifles. “Wasn’t that a regiment of sharpshooters. They had their rifles donated at the start of the war?”

“Yes sir, Springfields. Bought and paid for by the wealthiest men in Mississippi.”

“But those guys are crack shots. The decimated a cavalry regiment at Bull Run. How will my men stand against them? Hell, I only have three brigades, Colonel!”

“You’re being reinforced, even as we speak. We have a cavalry detachment just about an hour behind me as well as a battery. It’s a good battery too, Willard’s Battery. They have new ordinance rifles. They should do well.”

“So, without these reinforcements, I assume I am outnumbered?

“Not once the new brigade gets here. They’re force marching now.”

“I’m sorry, the new brigade?”

“Yes, we have a newly formed brigade. The men graduated training yesterday and are fully equipped and ready to fight.”

“Wait a minute—“ the general interjected. “You’re sending me green conscripts to stop this guy? I mean, he’s a lunatic. And his men are hardened veterans. Some of Lee’s best troops. You truly expect me to stop them?”

“You’re the only general that can, sir. If they get through you, they will have a shot at Washington. It will take at least two days to pull another division from the Army of the Potomac. They’d rather not do that with a fight looming in Virginia.”

General Georgia stood and looked down at the floor in contemplation.

“General, there’s one more mountain ridge his men must climb. You are much closer to it than he is. You’ll have the high ground, an equal number of troops, cavalry, and a very good battery. His men will be exhausted. Just set up a good line and I am certain based on his previous actions he’ll do nothing more than feed you his men. Just think of what this could do for your career!”

That was one thing General Georgia didn’t want to think about. A success would mean a promotion and command of an army, or at least a real division. That would mean real scrutiny and real work. Generaling in the countryside was easy and there was plenty of silver and china to be had, not to mention women. In the past few months, he had sent home to his wife enough silver and china to sell so they could roll up a stake and move to California where he had dreams of becoming a land speculator.

The general thought about his daughters Holly and Beverly, with whom he wanted to settle on a ranch on the green hills overlooking the sleepy hamlet of Los Angeles. He could envision naming the house and trees surrounding it for Holly and the hilly ranch for Beverly. And now these dreams appeared in doubt.

“It appears I have no choice, do I?”

“No sir,” the Colonel answered, “none of us do.”

General Georgia turned to his aide. “Awaken my chief of staff. Tell him to prepare the men at once, we march before dawn.”

As he walked away, the Colonel asked, “Where are you going, General?”

“Pardon me, I have to say goodbye to Lillian, one last time. I’ll be down in about an hour, or so...”
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  Blaugrana on Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:53 pm

Summer's over, and sport (as spectator) must give way to some PC war gaming. I will play some SP, see if I can switch off artificial aids, check my mods are where they should be, and look forward to a battle on the agreed date.

Jeff

From a wet, post-Olympic, pre-Paralympic London.

PS. I can't see (on SoWG forum Mods thread) the required 2nd Manassas mod, as per Baldwin's post. Can anyone point me to it, please?
Blaugrana

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy on Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:27 pm

She was an unfortunate widow of the war who found herself in the ownership of a fine country farmhouse and a large set of china and silverware, that the Major General noticed upon his initial inspection.
I believe you've captured Gen. Georgia's personality to a tee. I would only quibble with one small detail. The general would have ordered his aid to scoop up the silverware on his way out. On second thought, perhaps it's already a standing order...

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General on Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:38 pm

Uncle Billy wrote:
She was an unfortunate widow of the war who found herself in the ownership of a fine country farmhouse and a large set of china and silverware, that the Major General noticed upon his initial inspection.
I believe you've captured Gen. Georgia's personality to a tee. I would only quibble with one small detail. The general would have ordered his aid to scoop up the silverware on his way out. On second thought, perhaps it's already a standing order...

LOL! That's already in the next installment!

Awesome.
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby on Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:22 pm

Heck, we don't need to fight the MP battles, just let Neal write these fun accounts. Razz

"Any hussar who has not got himself killed by the age of 30 is a jackass." - Antoine Charles Louis Lasalle, commander of Napoleon's light cavalry, killed in battle at Wagram 6 July 1809, aged 34.

"I had forgotten there was an objective." - Generallieutenant Mikhail Borozdin I
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin on Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:40 pm

Looking forward to this. Can someone send me the 2nd Manassas Mod please?

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Blaugrana on Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:37 pm

Martin wrote:Looking forward to this. Can someone send me the 2nd Manassas Mod please?

Martin (J)

Could someone send it to me too, please?

Thanks, Jeff
Blaugrana

Back to top Go down

Post  Baldwin1 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:30 pm

Here is the link: 2nd Manassas Mod
Baldwin1

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin on Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:53 pm

Baldwin1 wrote:Here is the link: 2nd Manassas Mod
Thanks Baldwin

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General on Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:24 pm

Just an FYI.

I will see if I can work on this scenario tonight and get something out there, but I can make no guarantees, since I have a lot of work today and I am gone until Tuesday.

I reasonably expect more time to work on the scenario next week. So far, I have the OOB from Baldwin, but I haven't been able to create the files to work with. I haven't yet had a chance to revisit the instructions since Tuesday.

I will be gone on Saturday, Sept. 8, but that is okay. If the scenario is up, I hope you will play it. Between now and then, I will need to play test it with someone in god mode, (hopefully Baldwin) so I will be looking to do that late next week.

My first day back and free is Sept. 9.

In the meantime, I'll write a few more chapters of the story leading up to the battle. While those are designed to be enjoyable, there are also nuggets of important information in them, especially the ones coming up. Essentially, they are tactical briefings in prose format.

I'll have email over the weekend, so I'll be around, I just can't work on the scenario until later, which is a bummer.

-Neal
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  Blaugrana on Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:11 pm

Baldwin1 wrote:Here is the link: 2nd Manassas Mod
Thanks Baldwin

Jeff
Blaugrana

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin on Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:28 pm

Hi Baldwin

Installed the 2nd Manassas mod ok. Are you planning to issue team briefings before the game?

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:22 pm

Baldwin1 wrote:OOB Setup and Doodle

1st Inf Bde (Digby)
2nd Inf Bde
3rd Inf Bde (Cleburne)
4th Inf Bde (Baldwin)
Artillery - (Neal)

1st Inf Bde (Hays)
2nd Inf Bde (Jeff)
3rd Inf Bde (Leffe)
4th Inf Bde
Cav Bde (2 Companies)
Artillery

I see that on the date we've set Neal can't make it?

Also who is Flashman on the doodle page?

Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General on Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:46 am

Mr. Digby wrote:
Baldwin1 wrote:OOB Setup and Doodle

1st Inf Bde (Digby)
2nd Inf Bde
3rd Inf Bde (Cleburne)
4th Inf Bde (Baldwin)
Artillery - (Neal)

1st Inf Bde (Hays)
2nd Inf Bde (Jeff)
3rd Inf Bde (Leffe)
4th Inf Bde
Cav Bde (2 Companies)
Artillery

I see that on the date we've set Neal can't make it?

Also who is Flashman on the doodle page?

Correct, I cannot make that date. This is not an issue for me. I am more concerned about getting the scenario out within the next few hours, which is all the time I have to devote until next week.

I'll update everyone as soon as I know more.

I'm getting to work on it now.

-Neal
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General on Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:12 am

Briefings have been prepared and distributed to Martin and Billy.

Baldwin is putting final touches on the scenario.

I look forward to the AAR reports!

-Neal
Father General

Back to top Go down

No-show

Post  FlashmanKBE on Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:09 pm

Sirs,

While preparing my cavalry brigade for battle, I received unexpected orders from a higher command (ahem) to escort a Belgian delegation (wedding). Both companies are apparently required to be present, and I regret that I will be unable to form up on the proposed date.

I sincerely hope that upon my return my brigade and I will be able to get involved in some reconnaissance or skirmish duties. I personally lead a famous charge during our Crimean campaign, and can assure you of my, and my mens ability to perform the necessary tasks.

Your obedient servant,

Capt. Harry Flashman
FlashmanKBE

Back to top Go down

Post  Baldwin1 on Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:04 pm

Here is the latest and most definite Order of Battle:

1st Inf Bde (Digby)
2nd Inf Bde
3rd Inf Bde (Cleburne)
4th Inf Bde (Baldwin)
Artillery -

1st Inf Bde (Hays)
2nd Inf Bde (Jeff)
3rd Inf Bde (Leffe)
4th Inf Bde
Cav Bde (2 Companies)
Artillery
Baldwin1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top