» New, with a question
by Martin Yesterday at 9:11 am

» AARs - post here all after battle comments and replay files
by Mr. Digby Sat May 27, 2017 5:17 pm

» Boardgaming in Hertfordshire?
by King_Rufus Sat May 27, 2017 3:05 pm

» Another mini-campaign idea
by Mr. Digby Thu May 25, 2017 11:53 pm

» The Arny Design Module is ready for Beta Testing!
by Dr Ezra Sidran Wed May 24, 2017 4:39 pm

» 2017 k/spiel game schedule
by Martin Tue May 23, 2017 9:43 pm

» Fiddling around with an 18th century mod
by Uncle Billy Thu May 18, 2017 12:33 am

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Mr. Digby Wed May 17, 2017 6:02 pm

Statistics
We have 928 registered users
The newest registered user is Iron Shriek

Our users have posted a total of 23236 messages in 1878 subjects

I forgot my password

AI Being Gamey

View previous topic View next topic Go down

AI Being Gamey

Post  Baldwin1 on Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:21 pm

Well for the first time ever I saw the AI move up its guns after deployment or "rolling up" as we call it to within canister range. It was in our sandbox game this evening and I was astonished they were not player controlled and still doing this Shocked . I suppose they may have gotten post deployment orders to move up from their commander. I shall hold an inquiring of this Lt. Martin, he needs to be informed of our rules. Of course it is the Union, I should expect nothing less from those treacherous devils.
Baldwin1

Back to top Go down

Re: AI Being Gamey

Post  Martin on Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:44 pm

Baldwin1 wrote:Well for the first time ever I saw the AI move up its guns after deployment or "rolling up" as we call it to within canister range. It was in our sandbox game this evening and I was astonished they were not player controlled and still doing this Shocked . I suppose they may have gotten post deployment orders to move up from their commander. I shall hold an inquiring of this Lt. Martin, he needs to be informed of our rules. Of course it is the Union, I should expect nothing less from those treacherous devils.
Yes, they did this over on the Confederate right also. It was a real problem for us. Them thar blue-bellies wus slicker than a Carolina racoon, as they probably don't say in the Tar Heel State.

James Lane, BG CSA

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Baldwin1 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:13 am

They were sneakier than a fox in a henhouse Wink
Baldwin1

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy on Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:29 am

I asked Gen Howe numerous times for support on our right. Here was his reply.

Brig. Gen. John Newton

Dear John,

I and the boys are quite preoccupied at the moment. Mrs. Storrick just baked a batch of apple pies. As we have not finished with them and the tea, I cannot possibly see how I can meet your request. I will, however, send Lt. Martin and his guns to you. Will that be enough? I do hope so. If you are not too busy, please ride over for a bite. I must go now, the men have put on a fresh kettle.

All the best,
Brig. Gen. Albion Howe

And you're complaining...

Back to top Go down

Post  Leffe7 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:32 am

General Howes moves must have been some of the worst I've ever seen in SOW AI. Moving away from the battle in sight of visible enemies. Then coming back in road columns in perfect position for enemy artillery fire, deploying some guns and brigades. But deciding then it's not a day to die, retreating all infantry from the front and moving all to the border of the map again to take a nap.
While Howe successfully secured the area assigned to him by the corps AI, he (and the corps AI) really should act different when in sight of the enemy and under fire.

These are limitations of AI controlled troops and thats why I prefer to have all troops under human overall command ;-)

Congrats go to the CSA left flank. I was thinking that only Baldwin is attacking me. When I saw one of his regiments flanking me on my right, I was really surprised when suddenly a second brigade came out of the woods, hitting me hard and routing 4 of my 5 regiments!
Leffe7

Back to top Go down

Post  Cleburne on Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:19 pm

Sorry for that melee so quickly Stefan....
that was two regiments from one of my brigades that id sent around the farm to try to secure Baldwins left.First thing i realise as i emerge from the tree cover to the SE of the farm building is your firing line about to kill my clumsy Division commander....i immediately ordered him to stop and run away 50 yds.Next thing i remember is the two regiments coming along behind me and before i knew it a melee was at hand.
It surprised me as much as it surprised you i believe sir!
I think this kind of incident likley occured often in the war and it makes alot of sense.At that sort of range from the enemy in a sudden encounter there isnt many options.You either run away or you stand and fight which often will end in melee.
Your attack was very good sir and if i hadnt stumbled into your firing line like that i doubt my position would have been sufficient to stop your advance.Most enjoyable either way and i was very lucky to survive that melee myself....
i thought id lost the division commander and was about to report to HQ in shame....

Cleburne

Back to top Go down

Post  Baldwin1 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:08 pm

Uncle Billy wrote:I asked Gen Howe numerous times for support on our right. Here was his reply.

Brig. Gen. John Newton

Dear John,

I and the boys are quite preoccupied at the moment. Mrs. Storrick just baked a batch of apple pies. As we have not finished with them and the tea, I cannot possibly see how I can meet your request. I will, however, send Lt. Martin and his guns to you. Will that be enough? I do hope so. If you are not too busy, please ride over for a bite. I must go now, the men have put on a fresh kettle.

All the best,
Brig. Gen. Albion Howe

And you're complaining...

I believe Heth ran off to the North without providing us as much as one battery. At least you had a whole corps there backing you up.
Baldwin1

Back to top Go down

Post  Cleburne on Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:22 pm

Very true Baldwin.
However i did receive two couriers from Heth informing me that :

1.His artillery reserve had ditched their wagon contents in exchange for local silverware and edible food stuffs and liquor, all happily "given" to the cause by the local communities, understanding as always that their property will be in safe hands until the conclusion of hostilities.
2.His men patiently watched the grand spectacle of Generals Lane and Scales violently fending off the Federal advance on their right and at such point that he was satisfied that the enemy's troops had but little left to give in an attempt to defend themselves...he ordered his division full into the fray and drove the blighters over the hill.

i did not take the time to extend him the courtesy of a reply in kind....this i may will regret in future engagements....

Cleburne

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin on Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:10 pm

Heth did finally turn up in force, and was decisive in collapsing the Union left flank. But he did leave it d*mn late. After Johnson's small division collapsed, my own poor brigade was decimated trying to hold the line against a full division. A Had Heth left bit a few minutes longer..........

I have to give 3 cheers for the brave Union 6th Maine. They kept fighting for a long time after they were surrounded by Heth, Scales and my own brigade. Would that such brave men had fought for a nobler cause.

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum