Our users have posted a total of 24072 messages in 1920 subjects
Keywords

russian  sprites  

I forgot my password

Newbie here

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Newbie here

Post  pielord92 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:36 am

I'm pielord92 from the norbsoft forums and i was just wondering what this forum is for.

pielord92

Back to top Go down

Re: Newbie here

Post  Mr. Digby on Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:15 am

Hi there.

The main group is the Kriegspiel Society web page and forums. Kriegspiel is a military game invented in 1824 by a Prussian officer which pits two players (or teams) against each other in a tactical simulation using maps and wooden block counters with an umpire or umpire team transferring the moves of the units to their main map (which neither player can see). The umpire(s) then give information back to the players who then make their next set of moves.

The umpires resolve all combat either by a set of rules or by their judgement.

The Society meets about 6 or 7 times a year in the UK to play Kriegspiels and we cover the full range of warfare but usually we focus on the horse and musket period up to WW2. We are pretty eclectic however, and one recent game was a zombie outbreak at a high school where 4 separate players controlled small cliques within the school in a battle for survival and escape.

The reason that Scourge of War - Gettysburg is played here is because the HITS and Couriers version of it allows for similar levels of fog-of-war and delayed communications that a map-and-counters Kriegspiel can offer. We do a lot of snadbox games but recently have begun playing pre-written scenarios, some of which string together into short stories, and we have tried one more traditional umpire-led campaign and are about to start another.

If you take a look in the PC Kreigspiels sub-forum, you'll find many familiar NSD forum names there under the Scorge of War forum.

"Any hussar who has not got himself killed by the age of 30 is a jackass." - Antoine Charles Louis Lasalle, commander of Napoleon's light cavalry, killed in battle at Wagram 6 July 1809, aged 34.

"I had forgotten there was an objective." - Generallieutenant Mikhail Borozdin I
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top