» Crop sprites
by Didz Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:17 pm

» AARs - post here all after battle comments and replay files
by Miko77 Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:58 am

» KS Map Modding Project
by rschilla Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:23 am

» Chickamauga conversion to Germany
by Mr. Digby Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:04 am

» How to import scanned maps into the General Staff wargaming system.
by Dr Ezra Sidran Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:43 pm

Statistics
We have 970 registered users
The newest registered user is Eagle Tsui

Our users have posted a total of 23836 messages in 1909 subjects
Keywords

scenario  stock  maps  battles  camera  

I forgot my password

Anyone saw this?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Anyone saw this?

Post  mitra on Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:05 pm

http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/napoleonic-era/38048-road-to-wagram-updated-14?limit=30&start=210#54116

mitra

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone saw this?

Post  Blaugrana on Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:22 pm

mitra wrote:http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/napoleonic-era/38048-road-to-wagram-updated-14?limit=30&start=210#54116
Yep. Could be very good news ...
Blaugrana

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin on Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:42 pm

Excellent. That would allow us to run some traditional kriegsspiel scenarios with Napoleonic or mid 19th C armies, as well as our ACW games. The European armies were built around infantry battalions, and cavalry squadrons (Cuirassiers, Dragoons, Hussars etc). Unlike the ACW variety, they were all trained to charge like traditional cavalry, so in some ways there are more tactical options with these armies.

Thanks to gunship24's hard work on the Napoleonic mod, I already have uniforms & OOBs waiting, plus some embryonic scenarios.

Traditional k/spiels were played between 'Blue' and 'Red', which I suspect is the origin of todays 'Opfor' and 'Redfor' in military excercises (although James Sterrett may intervene here to contradict me). With gunship's assistance I have been able to create bespoke Blue & Red armies, together with Green for additional fun in alliance scenarios.

Maybe this will attract more traditional kriegsspielers to Gettysburg?

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Baldwin1 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:03 pm

Well it's about time. I've been rallying for that cause since it first came out. This will also open up a whole new world for SOW with sprite modding, there could be Cherokee sprites for Pap Price's western campaign Very Happy
Baldwin1

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:27 pm

Baldwin1 wrote:Well it's about time. I've been rallying for that cause since it first came out. This will also open up a whole new world for SOW with sprite modding, there could be Cherokee sprites for Pap Price's western campaign Very Happy
Absolutely. And if only some bkind soul would do plains indian sprites, my Custer's Last Stand scenario would see the light of day.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:45 pm

Martin wrote:Traditional k/spiels were played between 'Blue' and 'Red', which I suspect is the origin of todays 'Opfor' and 'Redfor' in military excercises (although James Sterrett may intervene here to contradict me).
Today its BluFor and OpFor, with OpFor always being red coloured. With friendly fire incidents you thus get Blue-on-Blue.

For a while in the Cold War era Red Forces got termed Orange in the British army, especially on exericses in Germany, because 'red' as a colour was so closely associated with the Soviet Union and people feared there might be genuine confusion.

But great to know we can do some Napoleonic games.

"Any hussar who has not got himself killed by the age of 30 is a jackass." - Antoine Charles Louis Lasalle, commander of Napoleon's light cavalry, killed in battle at Wagram 6 July 1809, aged 34.

"I had forgotten there was an objective." - Generallieutenant Mikhail Borozdin I
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  mitra on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:09 pm

I think it is going to be a big boost for the game. A part Gunship mod, the open possibilities for other mods increases greatly.

mitra

Back to top Go down

Post  FlashmanKBE on Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:17 pm

Mr. Digby wrote:
For a while in the Cold War era Red Forces got termed Orange in the British army, especially on exericses in Germany, because 'red' as a colour was so closely associated with the Soviet Union and people feared there might be genuine confusion.

Umm. Am I missing something here? Why would you not depict the reds as red? Surely OPFOR=Enemy=Red=Communists was quite non-ambiguous?
FlashmanKBE

Back to top Go down

Post  Blaugrana on Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:33 pm

FlashmanKBE wrote:
Mr. Digby wrote:
Umm. Am I missing something here? Why would you not depict the reds as red? Surely OPFOR=Enemy=Red=Communists was quite non-ambiguous?
Presumably to distinguish between real and imaginary news that "The reds have launched everything".

In one case the response would be imaginary, in the other it would have been Armageddon.

Last edited by Blaugrana on Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blaugrana

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby on Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:25 pm

Precisely. Because so many people, soldiers among them, referred to the Soviets as "Reds", a radio transmission about a real attack could be confused with an exercise.

"Any hussar who has not got himself killed by the age of 30 is a jackass." - Antoine Charles Louis Lasalle, commander of Napoleon's light cavalry, killed in battle at Wagram 6 July 1809, aged 34.

"I had forgotten there was an objective." - Generallieutenant Mikhail Borozdin I
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Ike on Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:40 pm

Wow! Napoleonics with HITS at 2 yds!! bounce Makes me closer to being ready to return to SOW .... Road to Wagram has Bavarian troops in it, nich wahr? Smile
Ike

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin on Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:58 pm

Ike wrote:Wow! Napoleonics with HITS at 2 yds!! bounce Makes me closer to being ready to return to SOW .... Road to Wagram has Bavarian troops in it, nich wahr? Smile
Yes it does, Ike. Very nice flags & uniforms they have too.

Gesundheit

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:07 pm

Lovely to see you around, Ike. Welcome back!

Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Ike on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:56 pm

Thank you, sir! It's good to be back, even if only partly. Be patient my friend, but I'll be back in the saddle - as it were - fairly soon after the first of the year.
Ike

Back to top Go down

Post  MajorByrd on Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:19 pm

Ike wrote:Wow! Napoleonics with HITS at 2 yds!! bounce Makes me closer to being ready to return to SOW .... Road to Wagram has Bavarian troops in it, nich wahr? Smile

Hob I doa wos Boarisches ghert?!

Do you have Bavarian ancestors Ike?

Greetings from Munich
MajorByrd

Back to top Go down

Post  mitra on Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:55 am

No I think he want to be invited to the oktoberfest by the bavarian troops Smile

mitra

Back to top Go down

Post  Ike on Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:21 pm

I don't know about being German, but I do like Oktoberfest and its American version here in Neu Braunfels Wink of Wurstfest.
Ike

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby on Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:59 pm

A sausage festival? Now that does sound fun!

Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Ike on Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:14 pm

Yes, it is. Beer and other edibles plus sausages and other snacks. Smile
Ike

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top