Latest topics
» SoW DLC Maps
by Mr. Digby Yesterday at 7:38 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:38 pm

» Daytime Games - ACW or Nap
by Interlocutor Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:16 pm

» Play multyplayer
by Manson Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:49 pm

» Video of the new Scenario Design Module for General Staff
by Dr Ezra Sidran Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:07 pm

» AARs - post here all after battle comments and replay files
by Mr. Digby Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:02 am

» 7th May face-to-face game at Little Gaddesden - Bloody Vikings!
by Martin Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:55 pm

» Screen shot of the Scenario Design Module for General Staff
by Dr Ezra Sidran Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:34 pm

» Free maps of Europe
by King_Rufus Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:35 pm

» Wargaming in the military
by Martin Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:43 pm

» Readymade Kriegsspiel "blocks"
by PhotonCutterTome Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:01 pm

» Submarine Warfare
by Martin Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:14 pm

Statistics
We have 913 registered users
The newest registered user is gmapsnz

Our users have posted a total of 23078 messages in 1869 subjects
Log in

I forgot my password


Temporary retirement, and Close Combat

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Would you be interested in playing a Modern campaign in the KS style, using the Close Combat: Modern Tactics game, with 5 players per side?

25% 25% 
[ 1 ]
25% 25% 
[ 1 ]
50% 50% 
[ 2 ]
 
Total Votes : 4

Temporary retirement, and Close Combat

Post  FlashmanKBE on Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:19 pm

Hi everyone,

I've decided that, until my connection is sorted (a matter that seems impossible to overcome according to those who claim they're trying to resolve it), I'm going to stay out of all SoW games. In fact, I'm not signing up to *any* multiplayer games at the moment, because my dropout problem is just too annoying for me, and everyone else. Apologies to all those I've let down in recent weeks, as a result of being "shot out of my saddle", or "drunk", or whatever other tomfoolery we come up with to try and lighten the blows.

I'm gutted, because these SoW KS and Ron's HG games were the highlight of my gaming week, and I would dearly love to be involved. But I figure it's more annoying to start and then drop, than it is to not start at all.

I have a target date of April when, if the matter is still not resolved, I'll be switching over to Optical broadband, with a different provider.

I'm actually currently putting together a Close Combat - Modern Tactics campaign, so this will keep me busy until my broadband is sorted, and I can travel back in time to the ACW again. I discovered that a few of you used to play a lot of Close Combat, and also that CC-Modern Tactics allows up to 10 players simultaneously, on 4km x 1km maps - bingo 10-player Modern Campaign! If anybody's interested, please drop me a line. (I've also added a poll to the end of this post, to gauge interest.)

I'll probably pop into TS now and then to chat with you splendid fellows, and probably try to rustle up interest in my idea.

Good luck with the exciting KS and HG campaigns, and keep up the splendid work everyone involved. I hope to see you on the other side of this "extended convalescence".

Best regards,

Ollie
avatar
FlashmanKBE

Posts : 137
Join date : 2012-08-30
Age : 39
Location : Lymington, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Temporary retirement, and Close Combat

Post  Uncle Billy on Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:59 pm

That seems like a harsh solution. Until you switch providers, why not just take a minor roll, such as brigade command. Dropping from the game in that case has less of a consequence than if you are CinC. You might also try closing TS and any other internet programs once the game begins. Just use couriers to communicate in game.

_________________
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
avatar
Uncle Billy

Posts : 2617
Join date : 2012-02-27
Location : western Colorado

Back to top Go down

Re: Temporary retirement, and Close Combat

Post  FlashmanKBE on Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:12 pm

Uncle Billy wrote:That seems like a harsh solution. Until you switch providers, why not just take a minor roll, such as brigade command. Dropping from the game in that case has less of a consequence than if you are CinC. You might also try closing TS and any other internet programs once the game begins. Just use couriers to communicate in game.

Sir, the problem must be dealt with harshly. Taking a minor role is an option, less frustrating for everyone else when I drop, but still just as frustrating for me. I've got fed up with kidding myself that "this game will be ok", and then it's not. Evil or Very Mad

The problem isn't related to any traffic such as TS or anything else. My router drops connection occasionally, even when both my laptops are off. The provider logs my drops, and I get around 15 in a 48 hour period, and most of these are during hours when nobody is using it.
avatar
FlashmanKBE

Posts : 137
Join date : 2012-08-30
Age : 39
Location : Lymington, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Temporary retirement, and Close Combat

Post  Uncle Billy on Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:22 pm

Have they provided you with a new modem/router? Intermittent drops are a sign of a flaky one. Also, does it feel very warm? If it has a marginal component, excess heat will cause it to go down for a short time.

_________________
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
avatar
Uncle Billy

Posts : 2617
Join date : 2012-02-27
Location : western Colorado

Back to top Go down

Re: Temporary retirement, and Close Combat

Post  FlashmanKBE on Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:47 pm

Uncle Billy wrote:Have they provided you with a new modem/router? Intermittent drops are a sign of a flaky one. Also, does it feel very warm? If it has a marginal component, excess heat will cause it to go down for a short time.

They gave me 2, they both do the same thing.
avatar
FlashmanKBE

Posts : 137
Join date : 2012-08-30
Age : 39
Location : Lymington, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Temporary retirement, and Close Combat

Post  Uncle Billy on Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:52 pm

Are they getting hot?

_________________
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
avatar
Uncle Billy

Posts : 2617
Join date : 2012-02-27
Location : western Colorado

Back to top Go down

Re: Temporary retirement, and Close Combat

Post  Baldwin1 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:15 pm

I say we form a mount and musket regiment I think they have a civil war mod for it. Then tie a KS campaign to that!
avatar
Baldwin1

Posts : 184
Join date : 2012-05-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Temporary retirement, and Close Combat

Post  FlashmanKBE on Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:25 pm

Baldwin1 wrote:I say we form a mount and musket regiment I think they have a civil war mod for it. Then tie a KS campaign to that!

I'm sorry old fellow - you've completely lost me there!
avatar
FlashmanKBE

Posts : 137
Join date : 2012-08-30
Age : 39
Location : Lymington, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Temporary retirement, and Close Combat

Post  FlashmanKBE on Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:26 pm

Uncle Billy wrote:Are they getting hot?

Not particularly - a little warm.
avatar
FlashmanKBE

Posts : 137
Join date : 2012-08-30
Age : 39
Location : Lymington, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Temporary retirement, and Close Combat

Post  kg_sspoom on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:03 pm

I have heard of a possible problem similar to yours (if it is a router or modem problem)
The first time some routers/modems are activated/initialized they need to be left on and online
for an extended period of time.
24 hours was the time I was told otherwise connections may reset periodically.
This would be a HUGE stab in the dark but you never know it could be the issue.
Sounds bizzare but might be worth checking into, unless of course it was a b.s. line the cable tech
was using to explain a bad connection that he couldnt troubleshoot.

I might be interested in a modern CC campaign, of course I would need to get the game first =)
I wouldnt mind a cross of iron campain either.
avatar
kg_sspoom

Posts : 129
Join date : 2012-03-27
Location : Ohio

Back to top Go down

Re: Temporary retirement, and Close Combat

Post  FlashmanKBE on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:42 pm

kg_sspoom wrote: I have heard of a possible problem similar to yours (if it is a router or modem problem)
The first time some routers/modems are activated/initialized they need to be left on and online
for an extended period of time.
24 hours was the time I was told otherwise connections may reset periodically.
This would be a HUGE stab in the dark but you never know it could be the issue.
Sounds bizzare but might be worth checking into, unless of course it was a b.s. line the cable tech
was using to explain a bad connection that he couldnt troubleshoot.

I might be interested in a modern CC campaign, of course I would need to get the game first =)
I wouldnt mind a cross of iron campain either.

Thanks Steve. Well, I'm thinking the first time I switched it on I probably left it on. I might try to reset it, but I'm pretty sure I've tried that before.

Hold fire on CC MT for now, I need to identify if there would be much interest first Smile
avatar
FlashmanKBE

Posts : 137
Join date : 2012-08-30
Age : 39
Location : Lymington, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Temporary retirement, and Close Combat

Post  M.Jonah on Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:05 pm

It could be entirely down to the router/modem what make is it. I changed provider to Opal business package and get a 20:1 contention rather than 50:1 that the general public get thus less connection problems i pay a bit more but i get the peace of mind. Also i don't tend to rely on provider based routers and bought my own I bought a Lynksys router which is basically a Cisco systems router never looked back but i too will be going to a fibre connection later in the year so that i can provide a better host for this game as i host alot of GCM games when we play.
avatar
M.Jonah

Posts : 92
Join date : 2012-10-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Temporary retirement, and Close Combat

Post  FlashmanKBE on Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:27 pm

M.Jonah wrote:It could be entirely down to the router/modem what make is it. I changed provider to Opal business package and get a 20:1 contention rather than 50:1 that the general public get thus less connection problems i pay a bit more but i get the peace of mind. Also i don't tend to rely on provider based routers and bought my own I bought a Lynksys router which is basically a Cisco systems router never looked back but i too will be going to a fibre connection later in the year so that i can provide a better host for this game as i host alot of GCM games when we play.

That is very interesting. I've never even considered that it might be that the router they provide is cheap. I'll see if I can find a better one. Many thanks Jonah.
avatar
FlashmanKBE

Posts : 137
Join date : 2012-08-30
Age : 39
Location : Lymington, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Temporary retirement, and Close Combat

Post  Baldwin1 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:17 pm

FlashmanKBE wrote:
Baldwin1 wrote:I say we form a mount and musket regiment I think they have a civil war mod for it. Then tie a KS campaign to that!

I'm sorry old fellow - you've completely lost me there!

It's a mod for the game Mount & Blade a FPS. I was just kidding. We would need at least 25+ people to have two groups firing at each other with muskets and have it look like a real skirmish.
avatar
Baldwin1

Posts : 184
Join date : 2012-05-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Temporary retirement, and Close Combat

Post  Father General on Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:31 pm

I have command ops, anybody have that?

It's pricey, but worth it.

Flashman, it will be sad to see you take a break, but as long as you're coming back, I can get though it.

I haven't heard from Digby, but I believe the next campaign will be commanders only locked for side, with all other players essentially employed as floaters, unless they really want that personal unit.

Heck, maybe we should just create personal units, one for each side? That way, the next campaign will progress more simply and smoothly. There won't be any 2-1 side ratios in terms of people. Smaller battles will be on tap as well. I think.

Anyway, hang in there and I'm confident in your ability to sort this stuff out. I pay premium for my internet, but it is worth it, given that I spend large amounts of time online for both work and play.

-Neal

avatar
Father General

Posts : 912
Join date : 2012-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Temporary retirement, and Close Combat

Post  FlashmanKBE on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:47 pm

Father General wrote:I have command ops, anybody have that?

It's pricey, but worth it.


Neal, you genius - yes I do! I got Battles from the Bulge, and Highway to the Reich about a month ago, got really into it, and have been dying to play MP. I even found an opponent on the Matrix Games site, but decided to not start on account of these damnable connection issues.

Command Ops is just 1 v 1 though right? That is a damn shame because it would work very well with more players, don't you agree?

I also learnt that they are developing an East Front version next! I will put in my requisition for more MP ability in that!

But for now, I can still only dream of having a connection stable enough to enjoy any MP action.

Rolling Eyes
avatar
FlashmanKBE

Posts : 137
Join date : 2012-08-30
Age : 39
Location : Lymington, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Temporary retirement, and Close Combat

Post  mitra on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:26 pm

I have COBfB and HiTTR me too. I have my multiplayer session every monday evening; just terminate a 5 days scenario, we played for the last two months. Also Conquest of the Aegean is in conversion phase to the new engine.

mitra

Posts : 337
Join date : 2012-10-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Temporary retirement, and Close Combat

Post  FlashmanKBE on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:05 am

In a spectacularly surprising move, BT actually put some effort into fixing my problem, and apparently it should be fixed! I'd like to cautiously dip back into HG5 with a brigade-sized command that can be commandeered should I drop, if that suits.
avatar
FlashmanKBE

Posts : 137
Join date : 2012-08-30
Age : 39
Location : Lymington, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Temporary retirement, and Close Combat

Post  WJPalmer on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:59 pm

FlashmanKBE wrote:In a spectacularly surprising move, BT actually put some effort into fixing my problem, and apparently it should be fixed! I'd like to cautiously dip back into HG5 with a brigade-sized command that can be commandeered should I drop, if that suits.

Sure Ollie. We'll have our collective fingers crossed!
Or, perhaps you might test it out ahead of time in a GCM game or some such, in which case I'm sure we could do better than a brigade command in HG5 Wink
avatar
WJPalmer

Posts : 526
Join date : 2012-08-10
Location : Colorado

http://rwberg53.wix.com/adventure-images

Back to top Go down

Re: Temporary retirement, and Close Combat

Post  FlashmanKBE on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:48 pm

WJPalmer wrote:
Sure Ollie. We'll have our collective fingers crossed!
Or, perhaps you might test it out ahead of time in a GCM game or some such, in which case I'm sure we could do better than a brigade command in HG5 Wink

Thanks Ron. There's not much point "testing" it in GCM, it makes no difference what I'm using the internet for when it drops. So as long as I'm continually testing it (which I am) until then, I should get a picture of whether it is fixed or not. Apparently, it was fixed on Tuesday (they didn't tell me until today), and I haven't had any drops since then.

As I say, this is most unexpected, as I've been waiting for them to fix it for months. I should have known that writing a retirement message would have had the desired effect! Less than a week on and I'm eating my words!

Fingers crossed, as you say. If I don't see any drops before Saturdays game, I'd probably happily take a division, and wouldn't mind guns-only, if we want to try that out. I've never actually commanded anything other than Army in HG, so I'd be happy to try my hand at division level.

If I do see any drops before then, I'm going to decline.
avatar
FlashmanKBE

Posts : 137
Join date : 2012-08-30
Age : 39
Location : Lymington, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Temporary retirement, and Close Combat

Post  Martin on Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:53 pm

If the drops recur Ollie, you might think about the powerline adaptor route. 2 adaptors only cost me about £25 and so far are working for me.

Martin (J)

Martin

Posts : 2129
Join date : 2008-12-20
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Temporary retirement, and Close Combat

Post  FlashmanKBE on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:24 am

Martin wrote:If the drops recur Ollie, you might think about the powerline adaptor route. 2 adaptors only cost me about £25 and so far are working for me.

Martin (J)

Thanks Martin. I already have a UPS/Filter on the router, but that didn't resolve the problem. No, indeed it was the responsibility of BT, who have indeed now fixed it! Hurrah! Back in the saddle! And an epic HITS/GCM battle under my belt too! Smile
avatar
FlashmanKBE

Posts : 137
Join date : 2012-08-30
Age : 39
Location : Lymington, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Temporary retirement, and Close Combat

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum